Wait for 7*** Series...?

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
Should I buy a 6800 Gt now or wait for the 7800 GTX to come out on June 22nd. And How much do you think all three 7800 models will cost.

TheBlueChanell said:
Should I buy a 6800 Gt now or wait for the 7800 GTX to come out on June 22nd. And How much do you think all three 7800 models will cost.
wait because there will be a price drop on the 6800gt

The question for me, actually, is weather or not I should buy a G70 or 6800GT AFTER the G70 is released. I expect that the G70 will push the price of the 6800GT down, but it may take time.

I'm leaning toward waiting for the G70.

cell_491 said:
wait because there will be a price drop on the 6800gt
Is that if the 7800's are availiable upon release? Could we be looking at a few months until the nearest price drop?

bobsaget said:
Is that if the 7800's are availiable upon release? Could we be looking at a few months until the nearest price drop?
id say a month at most... but it will still happen

cell_491 said:
id say a month at most... but it will still happen
I was just wondering because the 9800pro just recently (a few months ago) came down in price from it's 200 dollar mark that it was at a few months before the x800's came out.

I don't think that the release of the 7800 series will push down the price of the 6800 series for a while. If you looked back at the launch of the X800 cards (and let's try to get over ourselves concerning availability for a minute here), the 9800XTs were still going for $400+. They stayed in the $300 range even when you could find X800 Pros for below their price. Given that the price of the cards doesn't seem to be particularly inflated right now, I don't see how stores could drop prices that far. Even if they do drop, you need to be comparing across the series. If you have a 7800 series card that outperforms the 6800GT for $20 more, why go for the 6800GT?

but at those releases were the x800's available as soon as the launch? Because the 7800's are supposed to be available the same day of the launch.

Yeah, they were. Or a least a week or two after; it's been a year, and my memory isn't perfect. ATI did not have availability issues with the X800 Pros though, and those certainly beat the 9800XTs. The point is that there were better cards out from the same company, and the old cards still cost more.

couple of things, but they all go for WAIT

1: Wait for G70 to come out because it will eventually lower the cost of 6800 gts. Not right away but it will.

2: Wait for a G70 to buy it. take the money you're considering spending on a 6800GT and save it. When the G70s come out you'll have more money saved and you can buy a G70. But keep in mind I think a G70GTX is estimated to be 600 (I think). I think the G70GT and G70vanilla will be 500 and 400. Either way. Wait so you have more choices.

3: unless your a fan boy, still wait to see what ati will deliver. Making the most educated descision possible is always your best bet. Unless you just can't wait for a new gen card which can be understandable and hard :) But would be smarter.

If you are gonna put the card to good use right now, why wait. Just buy it. 7800 will not push the price of 6800 down until 7800 are reasonably price (look how long it took for 6800 GT/U to hit MSRP, months).

truffle00 said:
I don't think that the release of the 7800 series will push down the price of the 6800 series for a while. If you looked back at the launch of the X800 cards (and let's try to get over ourselves concerning availability for a minute here), the 9800XTs were still going for $400+. They stayed in the $300 range even when you could find X800 Pros for below their price. Given that the price of the cards doesn't seem to be particularly inflated right now, I don't see how stores could drop prices that far. Even if they do drop, you need to be comparing across the series. If you have a 7800 series card that outperforms the 6800GT for $20 more, why go for the 6800GT?
why are you comparing nvidia to ati... remember how the prices dropped on the fx series whenever the 6 series came out

cell_491 said:
why are you comparing nvidia to ati... remember how the prices dropped on the fx series whenever the 6 series came out

I'm comparing them because I don't remember the situation with Nvidia and so I'm speaking about a situation that I do know of. What you need to see is that the pricing situation isn't up to Nvidia but the retailers. And you know what? The same retailers are still in business, and will be handling a similar situation.

Additionally, take a look at the cards themselves. The FX lineup was pretty crappy and was more or less begging to be replaced. The 9800 series had good mindshare and people still valued them highly. It's not just the forum nerds who buy high end videocards but Joe Blows with spare change, and if their nerd friend told them 2 months before the X800s were released to get a 9800XT, do you really think they would go out and do research and see what to buy? I doubt it...they'd still get the 9800XT.

Past that, I think you have to figure that with the success of the 6800 series overall, they haven't exactly been sitting on the store shelves taking up space and costing the company money. These retailers are likely to have purchased stock recently, and merely looking at the sales trends they will figure that they don't need to really discount the cards to get them to sell. There's no sense in selling the card and taking a loss right away just because the new series came out.

TheBlueChanell said:

Only 4 more days, Why wouldnt you wait?.. More likely good things then bad will happen. People with 6800 Gt/ultras might sell cheap to upgrade. Or the 7800 might be cheap with massive performance gains..

Ever hear the saying "Good things comes to those who wait"? :D

True that. By the end of next week, the true 7800 availibility and price gouging situation should be fairly clear.

Wait it out. There's not much time left until the 7800 is released. Half a week will hardly cause anyone to sweat.

The prices of current nVidia offerings have already been going down, as stated in this article.

I would wait for the 7800 for no other reason then I want to see all the benchmarks and Kyle's "how it feels to play actual games on the card" review.

It may be so amazing that it would be worth waiting just to have the card.

Just my thoughts...

wait for the drop :p

just read the thread about it being in stock AHEAD of time :)

Back