Wahoooooooooo! The parts have arrived!

PsycoGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
I just couldn't resist. I was expecting one or two items today, and everything arrived! Now all I need to finish up is my 6800 Ultra and I can put it all together...

I want to thank Bio-Hazard for the part numbers for the fittings, and everyone else here for just being so great and answering questions, etc...

The Goods :

TheGoods.jpg

More pictures after the 6800 arrives and it starts going together.

Do you have some kind of brace for your video card? I heard that the weight of the GPU block can warp video cards.

Setup looks like it's going to be really good. What kind of radiator and pump will you be using?

Glad I could help you out.............. ;) Looks like you're going to have a killer cooling loop going on for yourself...................... :D

To answer a few questions...

bellevegasj:
I will be making a bracket to stabalize the video card after I get everything together and have measurements. Don't want to make something now and find out it will interfere with the hoses or water block.

The radiator I have is a heater core from DD, the dual 120mm fan one. The pump is an Eheim 1250. The resivor is this one.

Wolf-R1:
They are Colder. You can get them here. CrimandEvil was kind enoug to post that link in another thread. I had to ask Bio-Hazard for the part numbers because there are like 50 different parts listed there.
60814 1/2" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert
60695 1/2" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body

Thanks for the info...I am assuming that you had to buy two of each, correct?

Yup, two of each. Unless you just wanna pump water into your case... :p

I'm going to start cutting a mounting plate and a hole in the case for it in a few minuits. Then I'l move on to starting the tubing afterwards.

I just got my parts the other day and want to wish you luck. I was putting together the same system cooling block wise (NV68, 875 NB Cooler and RBX). I could not find a way to put the tubing together to add the NB cooler. Post pics after you finish so that I can see what you did there.

There will be plenty of pics Nomad....

Here's another one. Got the quick disconnect mounting plate completed. It took me 2 trips to Lowes and a lot longer to cut the Al plate because of a dull band saw blade. But it's done. The cutout in the case will have to wait until tomorrow. And I have to make another trip to Lowes for some 8-32 screws.

fittingsonplate.jpg

Let's see some pics of the insides of those disconnects, they look really sweet.

Ask and ye shall receive... If you want to thank someone for the find though, remember to thank CrimandEvil. ;)

fitting.jpg

PsycoGeek said:
Ask and ye shall receive... If you want to thank someone for the find though, remember to thank CrimandEvil. ;)
Thanks but at the time I first click on it I didn't even give it a second thought.
:)

I wasn't happy with the mounting plate I made last night, so this morning I made a new one. It took me several hours to do that, cut the hole to mount it, clean up the remains of the fan grills (I always cut them out), and drill a few other holes/make a few other cuts for wire routing. Here is a picture of the fittings and plate installed.

fittingsinstalled.jpg

replacing an 6800GT with a 6800 Ultra? sheesh. some people have way too much money to burn. good for you though.

medium said:
replacing an 6800GT with a 6800 Ultra? sheesh. some people have way too much money to burn. good for you though.

I just returned my 6800U last night....I guess i don't play enough games to justify the graphics....plus it wasn't really mind blowing compared to my 9800 pro....

but yeah, looks like a nice setup, and keep us updated...

PsycoGeek said:
To answer a few questions...

bellevegasj:
I will be making a bracket to stabalize the video card after I get everything together and have measurements. Don't want to make something now and find out it will interfere with the hoses or water block.

The radiator I have is a heater core from DD, the dual 120mm fan one. The pump is an Eheim 1250. The resivor is this one.

Wolf-R1:
They are Colder. You can get them here. CrimandEvil was kind enoug to post that link in another thread. I had to ask Bio-Hazard for the part numbers because there are like 50 different parts listed there.
60814 1/2" Polypropylene Hose Barb Shutoff - 1.86 Lgt - Coupling Insert
60695 1/2" Polypropylene Bulkhead Panel Mount Hose Barb Shutoff- 2.82 Lgt - Coupling Body

Thanks so much for posting those part numbers. Bio-Hazard told me where to get them in another thread but I was lost when I saw so many on the US Plastics page. Those are exactly what I need for my project. Too bad they are so damn expensive ($7.26 & $12.20 ea). I need at least 4 but that's $77.84! :eek:

Your case is looking damn sweet too!

On the 6800GT to Ultra "upgrade"... the GT went to my son, and My ultra that I have been waiting for hasn't arrived yet. Now if you want to really think that I have just way too much money... my wife has a GT as well. :D

OK, to the real business. I got busy with the layout and have it pretty well done. The flow (inside the case) will be: -----> CPU > GPU > North Bridge -----> The NV68 will hopefully mate up pretty well with the two pieces of tubing you see hanging, and all I will have to do is cut them to length. I may also have to shorten the two lengths between the RBX and the wye (y). I'll be working on the external cooling box later. Let me know what you think...

caselayout.jpg

God damn does that look nice. I might have to reconsider my plans and go with an external setup.

why the NB watercool? i hear people only have problems because of the close proximity of it.

If you look at my sig Gongo, you'll see why. I don't think I could achieve that bus speed without it. With the better blocks and cleaner layout this time around I am hoping to push it even further, and with better temps to boot. I had the Astek Waterchill NB block and the Waterchill Antarctic CPU block. Problems with leaking from the quick connect fittings prompted me to change (read... I tried to change the fittings to barbes and had leaks which I don't want to screw around with right now). -edit- Yeah, the NB block can be a pain. That's why I have it routed the way I do... it keeps the tubing runs fairly clean.

It's turning out nicer than I had hoped CrimandEvil. With the colder fittings where they are the tubing flows nicely to the CPU block and back again after the NB block. I'm glad I did the removable plate for the fittings too. Makes removing the loop from the case (if I have to for any reason) a LOT easier. Plus I can take the whole thing out to test it before the final install.

I called the vendor about my video card yesterday. Looks like it should ship on Monday, if it didn't already ship out Friday, but I don't know when it will be here exactly. Maby Wednesday or Thursday? Anyhow, I got a little anxious to get the think put together. So I stole my son's GT and slapped the NV68 on it temporarily. I ran into a few problems detailed below...

1. The NV68 mounting screws interfered with the north bridge block mounts. I had to cut off two of the ears from the NB block hold downs and reverse the mounting screws on the NV68 to get it to fit properly.

2. When I first tried to put the Video Card in with the NV68 mounted it caught on one of the NB mounting T's and popped part of the acrylio top off. Minor damage easily fixed with 5 minuit epoxy. Still pissed me off though.... DD should have tested this crap and had it worked out... Very dissapointing.

3. I was dissapointed with the CPU mounting method, and so tweaked it a bit. I JB welded the bottom nuts to the threaded rod shaft, used 4 pieces of heat shrink 3/16" long over the threaded rods to keep them centered in the holes in the motherboard. The heat shrink also fit inside the holes in the washers and keeps them centered.

4. The NB hold downs (the Al T's) kept popping off. A quick cut with the dremmel to make the notches deeper fixed that. Another oversight on DD's part.

Other than that, the rest of the build went OK. I have a small leak coming out of the pump and have to replace the barb tomorrow. I will also be putting up the pictures of the final tubing layout, so check back in tomorrow Nomad. I'm just too tired to take pictures right now.

Here is the final loop, almost ready fo go. The NB block is not attached... the broken tab popped off this morning while checking for leaks. This time I am JB welding it in two stages (first a small ammount in the break points, then a later coat of JB Weld around the break areas to reinforce). Also, the leak at the pump may have actually been a spill... no water on it this morning.

finallayout.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also included a pic of the external box. The radiator is in the box with the handle. It's removeable. The box is baffled for noise and the inside is carpeted with indoor/outdoor. It was an experement to see how silent I could make an active system. It workes, but not as good as I had hoped. I have a new design in the works. ;)

coolingtower.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a shot of the modified NB hold downs.

NBholddowns.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a shot of the back and front of the video card and the modded NV68 mounting.

VCback.jpg

VCfront.jpg

The springs are supposed to be on the back. I removed the studs, drilled out the threaded holes, JB Welded 4-40 nuts onto the ends of the studs and inserted them from the back, then put the springs and nuts on the front.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-EDIT- I forgot to make mention of the temps and Video Card OC. An NV5 Silencer on this card gave it a decent OC (check sig). Now she will do 425/1.2ghz! Temps were hanging at 41C idle and 47C max under load with the old WC setup. I was able to run last night for several hours (I just HAD to get in some BFV after a week without it). Temps were 40C idle and 45C max after playing for about 2 hours. Sweet! Dumping a bit more heat into the system and it's a few degrees lower than with the old setup! I love it! The DD blocks are much better...

what kind of powersupply and pump do you have in that box? by the way it looks nice, good job

Your system is looking great PsycoGeek. I really like the idea of the quick disconnect mounting plate. The next time I tear down my system I'm going to mod mine that wat also.

linger said:
what kind of powersupply and pump do you have in that box? by the way it looks nice, good job

The pump is an Eheim 1250. The power supply velcro'd to the top of the box was salvaged from the garbage at work. It went to a hub that was being thrown out. I grabbed the PS and brought it home for testing. It puts out 5v, 12v, 24v, and 3.3v. I found the 12v leads and soldered the molex connectors on it to power the fans. The pump and fan PS plug into an APC Office 280 UPS that I also salvaged from the garbage at work. It took a high spike (posibly from lightning) which knocked out it's "protection circuit", which is nothing more than a thin strip of copper designed to melt when too much voltage goes through it. 10 minuits worth of work and a tiny bit of soldering later I had a UPS for the cooling tower! I wouldn't plug anything important into it though. To power everything on in the tower I just flip the switch on the UPS.

Thanks for the comments everyone. This setup has been a pain in the arse to get going because of the minor setbacks. But it has given me time to do some more mods to the NV5 silencer that will be going back on my son's 6800GT. More on that later... ;)

Hey Bio... the mounting plate was an ephifony (a-piff-a-nee can't spell it right). I thought "How the hell will I get cards in and out with the tubing in the way?" And BAM, it hit me. Make the whole setup removeable as one piece. I have my moments... :D

I've been thinking about getting a DD 6800 block for my BFG 6800 GT, but I'm already getting OC's stable at 420/1.10ghz with the stock fans and stock voltage - I wonder what kind of difference it would make.

I don't know what kind of difference it will make. If you have an NV5 Silencer you may want to check this out. It is the NV5 Silencer mod I did for my son's card, with an update. Of course I don't know how it will perform, but I'm thinking it will be pretty good. in combination with the first part of the mod.

The repair I did with JB Weld on the chipset block seems to be holding OK. The system is back up and running.

bellevegasj, the NV68 block didn't make a whole lot of difference in the OC'ing ability of the 6800GT, but it did make a big difference in the reported temps. Idle now reads at 42c, load after an hour of BFV looks like around 47c max. So in that sense, it was worth it.

if you're going for silence... why have the OTES fan still in? :p
THat little sonofa is pretty whiny/loud. the volume drops off after startup, but i HATE that little bugger. I removed the OTES system a week after i got my board. I have watercooling as well, so not very much airflow over the mosfets, but no stability problems (voltage or otherwise) noticed...

thats quite a setup you have there. it makes me want to watercool even more now!!

Thanks Bugalaman! I appreciate the comment! Good luck in getting a setup together. One of the big things that held me back for so long (I had been keeping an eye on water cooling for quite a while, like 3 years), was the worries of leaks. I felt that the manufacturing of the components had finally matured enough to offer substantial reliability so I dove in. Plus, there is now a substantial ammount of peer support out there for solving problems.

I am not going for absolute silence diredesire. The external baffeled box was meant to dramatically cut the noise from the fans, and it does. Taking the OTES fan off wouldn't do me any good with the high OC, especially since I intedt to try and push it even further. Now, replacing the fan is an option I have been looking into. ;) Besides, I would then have to epoxy the heatsinks on the MOSFETs, an I don't want to do that. I did take it off already, though, to put Ceramique on the MOSFETs. They were on there with no thermal compound.

bellevegasj said:
I've been thinking about getting a DD 6800 block for my BFG 6800 GT, but I'm already getting OC's stable at 420/1.10ghz with the stock fans and stock voltage - I wonder what kind of difference it would make.
I just got mine installed over the weekend and noticed a couple of things:

My card maxes out at 51C now (stretching out the real time lighting demo) where before it would max out at about 81C

The max OC I could run stable before was 440 / 1.16. That was autodetecting at 432 / 1.16. I have not had time to sit at my machine and start pushing it yet, but it now auto detects at 442 / 1.18. I am hoping that I can hit 460/1.2 stable. This is all without a volt mod to the bios.

Lucky you Nomad. To get where I am now with this GT I had to volt mod. I tried 1.5v for 3d since I have the extra cooling power now, but it was not pretty in game... severe artifacting.

PsycoGeek said:
Lucky you Nomad. To get where I am now with this GT I had to volt mod. I tried 1.5v for 3d since I have the extra cooling power now, but it was not pretty in game... severe artifacting.
Thanks. I actually brought a card home from CompUSA that would not overclock past 380. I took it back and got this little gem...

I see. I didn't think the sinks were veyr useful. I dont know about you, but mine were all oriented so air would be blocked by the fins (as far as flow towards the fan). Kind of a PITA, if you ask me. The fan would probably be a good candidate to remove/change out. The idea itself is pretty great, i'll admit, but i wish it could be implemented differently.

Back