W7 x64 total system hangs

Smiththers2

Limp Gawd
i installed the RC on my main rig lastnight without a single problem. it ran all night and even did a virus scan at 3am with no lock ups. i turned it off when i went to work this morning, and now it doesnt have to be on for 10 minutes and its a total system lockup. i didnt change software since lastnight. it has crashed 5 times and now im to the point where im going to go back to vista. anyone else have this issue?

my rig specs are in my sig.

by the way, this doesnt happen on my laptop with x86.

Driver. Sounds like Windows update prolly installed some old device driver and is causing this to happen.

Check the driver dates - mine wanted to replace my sound and ethernet drivers from 2-09 with ones from 5-06. Ya right.

well i checked the video driver, and it claimed it was newer than what nvidia had on their site! so i uninstalled that and im downloading the one straight from them. its already running longer than if i had left it alone...l hope that fixes it.

well that lasted about 2 min longer. i installed the right video drivers and it still does it.

now i am going to go through and install ALL the drivers from the manufacture's sites...

Just a hard lock, doesnt give you a BSOD with an error at all? Does it eventually reboot itself?

Just a hard lock, doesnt give you a BSOD with an error at all? Does it eventually reboot itself?

complete hard lock with no reboot. never seen anything do this since XP. updated all my drivers and still does it. i have no idea whats wrong.

complete hard lock with no reboot. never seen anything do this since XP. updated all my drivers and still does it. i have no idea whats wrong.

Try a system restore and roll it back to last night.

Doubt it's a hardware issue, but it could be run memtest and check the ram, prime check the CPU and just see.

Try a system restore and roll it back to last night.

Doubt it's a hardware issue, but it could be run memtest and check the ram, prime check the CPU and just see.

i will give system restore a shot, and maybe just MAYBE it was the test update that MS released that did it in.. we shall see...

well system restore seems to have worked, however i dont like using it. since it didnt take me very long to install the whole thing, im just going to do it again. this time im not updating anything with the words TEST in front of it. from now on, doing one up update at a time, and if it doesnt work, roll BACK haha.

lol glad to see that worked tho.

Win7 rocks it's worth figuring it out man.

i use it alot on my laptop, i was blown away when it hung on me. i took vista completely off the machine, so i was trusting this to work right from the get-go

well after getting it all up and running again. was good for a few hours, then it starts hanging again. Im all done with this until they fix what ever it is causing this crap but i do not have the patience to put up with this on a machine i use a total of 50+ hours a week.

well system restore seems to have worked, however i dont like using it. since it didnt take me very long to install the whole thing, im just going to do it again. this time im not updating anything with the words TEST in front of it. from now on, doing one up update at a time, and if it doesnt work, roll BACK haha.

If you figure out which update was the one that pushed it over the edge post it up. :)

If you figure out which update was the one that pushed it over the edge post it up. :)

well... thats just it. i didnt update it at all the second time around... :confused:

im wondering if the nvidia driver stopped responding, but it didnt know how to handle it. vista would always tell me... you guys know what that looks like im sure.

Did you search the disk for any *.dmp files....its a shot in the dark, but when stuff has frozen on me they've shed some light in past cases.

Back