W2kServer + Roaming profiles

sethmo

2[H]4U
I need some help with romaing profiles. Im running W2kServer and all the clients are XP Pro machines. I think I have everything setup correctly but when I try to login on the clients, it gives me an erro saying it cannot find the profile on the server. And it says to make sure the user has the correct security rights, but I made the user an administrator. What am I doing wrong?

you made the user an administrator to what? the local machine? but what are their rights on the share that their profile is on?

Do the user accounts actually have roaming profiles set up to point at a globally accessible network share?

Basically, you'll want a share like:
\\server\users\
And then within the share, you'll have a folder for each user, with the user having the proper permissions to that folder. That's where the profiles will go.

Yup did all that. I made the user an admin on the server and the folders and paths are all setup just like that.

[Edit}
I think the client computer is trying to save the profile locally. Is there something that needs to be done to the client?

Alright it definitely is saving the profile locally. I changed it to a mandatory profile on the server and the client still saves its settings.

Even roaming profiles put a copy of the profile on the local machine - it just means that when you log in, it pulls the profile from the server to the local machine, and when you log out, it synchronizes changes to the profile to the server.

UMCPWintermute said:
Even roaming profiles put a copy of the profile on the local machine - it just means that when you log in, it pulls the profile from the server to the local machine, and when you log out, it synchronizes changes to the profile to the server.
or, in the case of a mandatory profile it doe not synch any changes. but otherwise, yeah. what is the exact error msg you get?

When you say "admin on the server" I PRAY you mean you just gave them full control to THEIR profile and personal directory.

I admin ~200 users here with a 2K Domain/XP clients, and whenever you get a "cannot load profile. Access Denied" box, it tends to just be that the user does not have permission to their individual share.

Haha, very true typhoon43.

"Hmm, this user can't access their profile. Let's just make a little change and add them to domain administrators..."

Back