W2K file shareing with XP

par0thead151

[H]ard|Gawd
so me and my roomie are swaping files over the LAN and i want to give him access to read coppy, but not edit or add annything.
nameley because i dont want a virus from him or something along those lines.
so i have file shareing on the 2 drives i want him to have access to, and give him read access and not change access.
however, now he cant open the video files i have, or even transfer them to his PC.
when i give him all rights it allows him to play the files but also edit or delete them, which i dont want him to be able to do.
what is going on here?
when i give him read access, he can only view the directories, but cant open a video file or a audio file. when i give him change access the same problem happens, but when i give him un restricted access it works??
anny advice is greatly appreciated.
thanks

Are you dong permissions via NTFS or Sharing?

If you are doing it via Sharing all you have to leave Read clicked.

i right click the drive and click shareing, then permissions and i have the 3 options form there
ful access
write
read

Unclick full access unclick write. He should be able to read all that he wants with no problem but not create,delete or add anything

i do have it set up that way....
yet he cant open a video file, open a song or even coppy and paste it to his local hard drive.
but he can view the directories that i have shared fro him....
this is really wierd, i have 3 computers with W2K and they always work when shareing like this....
damned XP

Ok forgive me for this may sound incredibly st00pid, but have you tried enabling the Guest account? It might be having an issue with him loggin into the computer as a user.

If you are on a network then just more than you two (like a campus ) DO NOT enable the guest account!

Make sure XP isn't using simple file sharing and don't assingle any security VIA NTFS and this should work. I do the same thing with my music files at home.

Then despite what I just said, you can give him full sharing right and lock it down via File system rights if you are using NTFS.

Back