W2k and new hard drive.

Phosphers

n00b
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
53
Just got me a nice shiny 200gb seagate drive, my "issue" is that windows only sees 128gb. This seems a little low to me, my 120g drive has 111.7g usuable. According to my caculations I lose 72gb on my new drive!
Is this just windows being stupid or did I miss something important?
 
2k needs SP4 to solve that issue unfortunately :mad:

Best way around this problem is to create a pre service packed 2k disk to install from.
Otherwise you have to either use the lost space as another partition or use a program to add that back to the existing partition after installing the SP.
 
Follow dirtydr suggestion on the slipstreamed SP4 disk, google autostreamer and let it do the job for you in minutes :D

oldmx
 
what amazes me is that ppl are still on sp1 or 2 even no sp........i mean come on ppl get with the times
 
This is sp4, added on after the install, and I tried the registry edit also. I'll look into the other suggestions for giggles anyways.
 
Phosphers said:
This is sp4, added on after the install, and I tried the registry edit also. I'll look into the other suggestions for giggles anyways.
That's the problem, it was after the install.
 
ok, try this tool, its worked for me when ive had hdd's that wouldnt go past the 130limit even tho i had sp4 and whatnot, its a simple reg thing, but if u wrote a drive signature to the drive, use something like partation magic on a boot disc to partition the hdd and get this tool

http://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglba.htm

run it, enable 48bit lba, reboot, then boot off disc, creat 200gig partition and smooth sailing from there
 
So other than the last suggestion, which I'm trying now....
You're saying I need to grab one of those patcher things, make a new iso, and install from that iso?

It's not exactly what I want to do with my time but goodness knows windows needs it. Can I install "over" the old install? And is there a way of backing up everything like what programs I have installed?
 
I'll be damned. The lba enabler program worked perfectly. I now have 186gb which is only a lose of 13g to system files. Whoooo!
Probably still need to reinstall some time.
 
Back
Top