W10 slow search silliness

honegod

[H]F Junkie
when I open a window of a folder that is full of 2mb BMP images, the displaying of the thumbnails is REALLY slow, and it takes minutes for the icons to arrange themselves in order.
it seems to be reading the files and doing some indexing. once it gets done it runs fine, but the next folder repeats the process.
this happens every restart.
and is getting quite annoying, wait for every folder I access to index, again.
I totally gave up on the search function in explorer, it is deadly slow.
the harddrives are 7500 rpm type that reach 200mbs, transferring between them, regularly.

does windows really suck that bad or am I missing something basic ?

10700k, 32gb

under drive properties, is indexing on? under drive clean up, is "thumbnails" not ticked?

under drive properties, is indexing on?
"Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties " box is checked for all drives.

started a search for "drive cleanup" @1532 @ 1543 the completed bar has not cleared the x in the address bar,@1553 it is 3 pixels short of clearing the x.
this is where I usually hang up search attempt in windows.

I am not finding the drive cleanup function ???
disc cleanup doesn't mention thumbnails

edit @ 1633 still hasn't cleared the x, 6 results in drive o - long term storage, only c d e f and g to go once it gets through o

Last edited:
sorry "disk cleanup", the one thats on the properties page when you right click your drive. are your running only spinners?!
1660001536393.png

are your running only spinners?!
no.
C drive is M.2, G drive is a clone of c, also M.2.
all data is on the spinners, the install files for the programs running on C, and every other program I've downloaded.

hgfge2.jpg

no ??? the thumbnail box is not checked. :)

The windows thumbnails cache database (db files) is usually placed in:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

So I would expect the clear thumbnail in the disk cleanup to only appear for the disk with that folder.

Here I am not sure do you want for the thumbnails to display previews and would want it to be faster or you do not want the previews so navigating can be faster ?
If it is the later, those ways: ?
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-thumbnails-windows-10

no ??? the thumbnail box is not checked.
The windows thumbnails cache database (db files) is usually placed in:
%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

So I would expect the clear thumbnail in the disk cleanup to only appear for the disk with that folder

i guess theyre all stored on c:, whoops, never realized.

drive is defragged? chipset drivers are up to date? tried another sata port? starting to spitball as mine seems "normal" but the folder is mixed content not all pics...

drive is defragged? chipset drivers are up to date? tried another sata port? starting to spitball as mine seems "normal" but the folder is mixed content not all pics...
Did Crystal disk benchmark have been tried ?

If you type indexing options in your start menu and go to that settings, do you see the drive in the included locations without an exclude rules (I had a slow to search in massive folder, it was put in the excluded folder for some reason, maybe because of the numbers of files).

you could delete and rebuild the index in the advanced options.

i guess theyre all stored on c:,
yes.
the clear thumbnails box on C was checked. fixed that.

I have set it to defrag/optimise weekly.
all 4 sata ports share the behavior .

Crystal disk benchmark
no, have heard of it, never investigated using it.

indexing options
hah, bingo ! I have indexing completely disabled.
so i read the win10 help on indexing and got to the point where the index can be read by others using programs I install.
and am pretty sure that is why there is no index on the machine.

I had used indexing when I was using a 28.8 modem to dial up the internet, but with an always on MB/sec connection that allows phoning home without TELLING ME.
nope.

I would totally go for a password to have exclusive access to my index.
otherwise it sounds silly.

I look at home server, SAS, NAS videos because they seem to cover what I want.
huge storage, fast access, reliability.
but all center around networking separate computer boxes to do what I want my Mini-itx to do standalone.
that is sort of the POINT of having several CPU cores, to have a couple doing file system goodness while the rest crank out tunes and video.
I want to be able to unplug a 14tb drive from the array and swap in a 20tb drive and the system integrates it into the pool and adds the 6tb of new space without troubling me with the details.

windows used to put a file in the folder with the thumbnails of the folder.
in the days when a hundred gig was a lot.
and folder thumbnails were instant.
THOSE indexes I would use, but I haven't seen the switch in W10.

I just plugged a sabrent usb 3.0 sata drive toaster into a 3.0 socket in the back panel
plugged a 5tb 2.5 seagate spinner (that was replaced by a 14tb 3.5 western D spinner.)
copied a 120gb folder from the 14g to the 4g, the copy was at pretty much the same speed the 4g ran when plugged into a sata port.
the 5tb on usb took the same ammount of time to display icons in a folder as the 14tb on sata does.
implying that it is software. huh, check that by copying a folder to the M.2 and look at the rate of the 970pro.

Back