• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

W10 - renaming folder takes 3 seconds

zorobabel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 25, 2008
Messages
193
I'm having this problem with renaming folders with w explorer. I type, press enter, and then have to wait about 3 seconds. W10 64 bit home. Folders can have no contents, no difference.
Renaming with something like total commander works as expected.
Any clues? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Bring up task manager and look for unusual HDD/CPU activity, if the CPU of HDD are being taxed unnecessarily scan for malware.

In my experience that's usually the root cause for major Windows slow downs - The HDD is just being flogged so hard that a simple operation like renaming a file takes an age.

Having said that, is three seconds really that long?
 
It's just Cortada and Bing performing searches on the new name. Working as intended.
 
Update:
It is 4 seconds not 3, that's 33% worse :).
BulletDust - 4 seconds are not bad enough to make me reinstall windows (which is also pointless with the new M$ policy of build updates)
The renaming does not involve hdd activity, but does use up to 25% of the cpu - 1 core at 100% - all used by explorer.exe. Unplugging the network cable does not change the behaviour.
 
Run Malwarebytes followed by Hitman Pro and see what you pull off the system.
 
Uninstall your antivirus and try the renaming again. Might be unbelievably fast after that - along with all other stuff you do :D

One time years ago I got F-secure AV for free and decided to use it on my brand new PC I built. I was totally amazed how sluggish the new computer was, just opening folders took literally a second or two. I reinstalled twice until I realized that the system was snappy to the moment I installed the AV.

After this experience I started protecting my PCs using other means than AV.
 
Do you have any shell extensions installed? Things that add functionality to the Explorer context menus?
 
Also, does this happen every single time you rename or create a folder, or just some times? I'm in agreement about the AV, check that first, then move to checking your system for malware/spyware and not the built in Windows 10 kind...
 
I would back up all my stuff and do a full reset......it will fix it lol
 
I ran MalwareBytes it didn't find anything, as expected. The only other AV is windows defender.
I did have some shell extensions, but I disabled those with shellexview a couple of months ago (trying to fix the renaming problem). Right clicking on a folder is not delayed.
The folder renaming delay happens every single time. Creating a folder and leaving the default naming (new folder) is not delayed. File renaming is ok. Moving folders I also get the delay (I fell asleep before doing more testing, but I believe when moving multiple folders, the delay adds up).
 
Just re install Windows, MS seem to think it's such a necessity to constantly re install their OS that they actually made it easier to do:

Start > Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Reset this PC.

The only OS with built in options available in the GUI for re installing, I don't even think you need to enter the password to get things rolling!

BTW, Malwarebytes doesn't always pick up anything, one software package never does, you need to run a combination of Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro trial. Personally I'd simply do either a repair install or at minimum (just for the exercise in the hope it rectifies your issue without loosing important data) a clean install of Windows. Yes, it's like swatting a fly with a cannon - But this is Windows we are talking about here....
 
Last edited:
Just to confirm, when moving multiple folders the delay adds up. Moving 10 empty folders took 31 seconds.
Does anyone know when the next mainstream build of W10 will be released?
 
Just to confirm, when moving multiple folders the delay adds up. Moving 10 empty folders took 31 seconds.
Does anyone know when the next mainstream build of W10 will be released?

Something's certainly wrong here. Have you installed any shell extensions, anything that changes the default context menus in File Explorer? The next major release update to 10 is the Anniversary Update which should come out in late July.
 
Honestly, while I understand that it looks like a Windows issue solely, there has to be something else wrong. I mean, was the OS clean installed or restored? Was the OS installed on the current hardware? Were the drives formatted on another system with NTFS or FAT32? I wouldn't wait for the update and most people are fine with the current file system in Windows 10, (probably least amount of complaints about this OS), so I have to wonder if it is a rampant shell extension or some other artifact of a previous installation. Since it is Windows 10, just use the media creation tool, make a boot USB stick, backup your data, reformat the drive during a fresh install. Activation isn't an issue really anymore.
 
Back
Top