w00t Watercooling setup installed, everything lives!

Grizzy

Gawd
I just got my "Homemade" watercooling setup installed, and so far, so good - nothing has leaked, and everything seems to be working perfectly! I will get the first picture uploaded and hosted in a minute.

Thanks, but I already have my own webspace, I am just cropping and resizing the pics

block.jpg

res.jpg

setup.JPG

The block is a Swiftec MCW5002-A, the res is just some tupperware that I put some barbs on and sealed the lid closed (put a sealed fill hole in the top). The pump is a Maxi-Jet 600 160gph pump that I got from a pet store for about $20 (pumps great, very quiet) The heatercore is just some random 16.99 Autozone heatercore that barely fit in the case, but seems to be working just fine

Right now, the case temp is 22C, the CPU is 32C idle. I will be stress testing it later :p

LOL Yea, its kinda ghetto - but works perfectly and gets much better temps than my volcano 12 could with the fan on high, and this does it almost silently. And for $75 total for everything, its not too bad

PC-HAngover said:
I foresee a lot of leaking in your future.... :p

That's not a very positive thing to say. Chances are you might just have been joking....but whenever there's someone around here trying something new I try to keep their spirits up as much as possible. I've been there, and even the slightest comment can throw someone off track.

Kudos on the Economic setup there bro.....better then my Zalman CNPS7000 for sure.....truely something to call your own.

I think I'd secure the rez a bit better............ :D It just scares me seeing it there.............. :eek: Building a shroud would help your temps and noise a little also.

DryFire said:
I'm guesisng the tubingis clearflex?
Look at the rest of the system: that tubing is probably home depot vinyl :D

Nothing against that tubing, I've got it myself. No need for the more expensive stuff if your tube routing is nice and straight.

thewhiteguy said:
Look at the rest of the system: that tubing is probably home depot vinyl :D

Nothing against that tubing, I've got it myself. No need for the more expensive stuff if your tube routing is nice and straight.

Wrong! Lowes vinyl! $2.50 for 10 feet, the price was right :D
So far, the temps have been good, and the noise is almost nothing compared to the old volcano (which would have to be on high to get anywhere near these temps)

Yea, I am planning on securing the res more and building a shroud, I just got it installed so that will be the next step... cleaning up the wires, and finishing the placement and securing everything in place

PC-HAngover said:
I foresee a lot of leaking in your future.... :p

Heh, thanks for the support...

I already leak tested it for a few days in various stages of completion and epoxy'd the hell out of anything that did - there will be no leaks :p

cornelious0_0 said:
That's not a very positive thing to say. Chances are you might just have been joking....but whenever there's someone around here trying something new I try to keep their spirits up as much as possible. I've been there, and even the slightest comment can throw someone off track.

Kudos on the Economic setup there bro.....better then my Zalman CNPS7000 for sure.....truely something to call your own.

haha.. I was joking.. see that tongue? Heh. Its a very economical setup indeed. But I agree with Bio.. that res does indeed scare the crap out of me. I just hope you don't move your computer around much! Nice setup for $75 though!

Props for not going store bought. :)

I totally love your res placement on the 3.5" tray. :D

v3rt1g0 said:
Props for not going store bought. :)

I totally love your res placement on the 3.5" tray. :D

Personally I love the tape job on the tupperware.....truely [H]ard. :D

Wooo, someone else using MaxiJet stuff! I love their pumps, really cheap and perform really well. Like everyone else said, the reservoir scares me a lot :eek: But like you said, you epoxied the hell out of it and tested it, so good times. Ghetto!!! (maybe there should be a sticky of ghetto systems somewhere hehe)

Deadlierchair said:
maybe there should be a sticky of ghetto systems somewhere hehe

There very well should be, as it'd be quite an interesting thread to see. I'd love to give it a go and do my h2O up budget style....but I gotta go for looks in my Li-Li. ;)

The heater core and res aren't visible through the window anyway, so I figured... Why spend all that money on store-bought WC made res and radiator? That core performs great, and the res does what it's supposed to do - store water and make filling the system easy.

And for whoever asked, I got the heater core at Autozone for 16.99

I second the motion on the Maxijet pump. Great little pumps. You simply can't beat them for the price.

I'm mainly interested in going with the pet store water pump. I was wondering how stong/power rating it needs to effectivly move the water. I notice the more expensive pumps have different prices which i assume is due to the pump power. I plan on running a CPU and GPU block in it, no NB. Would I get by fine with any pet store pump? Or what should I look out for

DryFire said:
apparently they have a 295gph version too.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AS1117

I'm gonna venture a guess that it is at 0' head.

Nope :) I have that pump and it really is strong. I can't say whether it's 295 gph at what head, becuase I haven't done any scientific testing, but with my loop of a BlackIce Extreme, a Maze4 block, and a Maze4 GPU block, it still puts out a lot of volume very quickly. It's probably not as good as a Swiftech or Eheim, but I could buy 3 or 4 MaxiJets before paying what I would for those. Price/performance ratio is awesome.

Hey - I am about to buy a maze 4 GPU block, do you guys think my 160gph pump will take it? It's doing great with the CPU and my big heater core, but I am a WC n00b and wouldn't know if the GPU block would restrict it too much

thewhiteguy said:
Damn, I should have bought one of those pumps instead of my Swiffy.

I don't know if that's certainly true. Most wisdom says you get what you pay for, but also in the water cooling business everyone trys to rip you off. The Swiftechs are great pumps, I wouldn't regret that purchase at all. I just didn't have the money for one of those pumps, that's why I went this route.

Grizzy said:
Hey - I am about to buy a maze 4 GPU block, do you guys think my 160gph pump will take it? It's doing great with the CPU and my big heater core, but I am a WC n00b and wouldn't know if the GPU block would restrict it too much

I might get a better pump for all of that. What kind of pump do you have? Not all 160 GPH pumps are the same in quality and performance, but I'd guess a better pump would help.

Deadlierchair said:
I don't know if that's certainly true. Most wisdom says you get what you pay for, but also in the water cooling business everyone trys to rip you off. The Swiftechs are great pumps, I wouldn't regret that purchase at all. I just didn't have the money for one of those pumps, that's why I went this route.
I know I have a great pump, but for the same price I could get four of those Maxijets and run them in parellel and series at the same time, that'd be a LOT of flow :D :cool:

Deadlierchair said:
I might get a better pump for all of that. What kind of pump do you have? Not all 160 GPH pumps are the same in quality and performance, but I'd guess a better pump would help.

That's just what I was gonna say, but again, not all high flow pumps are all they're cracked up to be either. A person should really know what they're looking for if they're gonna get into high performance/flow rate pumps, as some things will start to become that much more important.

Grizzy said:
Ok, I will get a higher flow pump - After all, a 295gph pump is only $20 :D It may not be equal to expensive 300gph pumps, but it should be able to handle my system fine, right?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1093899274869

As cornelious0_0 said, there are other important things to consider with a high volume pump, but I am positive that that pump will do just fine in your system. There may be better pumps out there, but it's $20, and it must be pretty reliable if it's used in aquariums everywhere...

I was thinking about getting a CSP-750 mark II when it comes out but i may need to reconsider, it is only like $15 w/ shipping. But it is very quiet and small.

I didn't see any reviews of the maxijet in a water cooling setup or compared to any other pumps. I also don't think reliability is an issue.

decisions decisions.....

DryFire said:
I didn't see any reviews of the maxijet in a water cooling setup or compared to any other pumps.

Yeah, when I was considering mine this worried me too. The only references I found were on those DIY water cooling guides, but they all said it was good so I went ahead and ordered and I'm happy with it.

WesM63 said:
Man, and I thought I was ghetto ;)

J/K, At least its performing decently.

exactly, its that kind of "ghetto functionality" that one needs.....no use in having a cool looking ghetto setup if you can't leave it alone for 5 minutes in fear of something breaking loose/down. :p

cornelious0_0 said:
exactly, its that kind of "ghetto functionality" that one needs.....no use in having a cool looking ghetto setup if you can't leave it alone for 5 minutes in fear of something breaking loose/down. :p

Ghetto functionality is right... Right now, ambient is 22C and the CPU is at 30C just doing IE and winamp

Back