• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

W/C Newbie- Help with a new loop?

EtherealConstruct

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
216
I'm on a tight budget, but I really want to get my 750 up over the 4.0ghz barrier, a quieter system, and a more impressive aesthetic. I'm looking to spend around $220 for everything, what is the best loop I could create from that?

Key points:
Only looking to have the CPU in the loop
Can only have a 2x120mm radiator due to case constraints
Should keep things compact
Obviously need i5 compatible heat sink
Should be better than air cooling performance (Right now at 3.8 ghz 30c idle, ~60 c load, ambient 13 C)

Thanks guys.

Edit:
To start it off here's what I'm thinking:
Swiftech MCR-220 qp series rad $44.95
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcqposerab.html
Danger Den CPX Pro 12V Inline pump $56.95
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadencp12vin.html
15Ft. Masterkleer Tubing $8.85
http://www.petrastechshop.com/7id5odmagepu.html
Heatkiller LC Rev. 3 Heatsink $49.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=495&products_id=26572
2x Yate Loon $10
Biocide $3
T-fitting/Plug $2.50

That puts me at ~$170. What revisions to make?
 
Last edited:
Those choices look fine, you might want to swap out those plastic fittings on your radiator for 1/2" OD Nickel plated brass fittings like these: http://www.petrastechshop.com/swhifig1th1o.html
Those plastic ones are hell to work with, using 7/16" Masterkleer tubing.

If you want a quiet system without giving up low temps, I highly suggest those medium speed yate loons paired with a fan controller. Dial up the speed when you're using your system heavily.
 
If you want a quiet system without giving up low temps, I highly suggest those medium speed yate loons paired with a fan controller. Dial up the speed when you're using your system heavily.

Can you suggest a fan controller that speeds up the fans automatically?
 
I'm on a tight budget, but I really want to get my 750 up over the 4.0ghz barrier, a quieter system, and a more impressive aesthetic. I'm looking to spend around $220 for everything, what is the best loop I could create from that?

Key points:
Only looking to have the CPU in the loop
Can only have a 2x120mm radiator due to case constraints
Should keep things compact
Obviously need i5 compatible heat sink
Should be better than air cooling performance (Right now at 3.8 ghz 30c idle, ~60 c load, ambient 13 C)

Thanks guys.

Edit:
To start it off here's what I'm thinking:
Swiftech MCR-220 qp series rad $44.95
http://www.petrastechshop.com/swmcqposerab.html
Danger Den CPX Pro 12V Inline pump $56.95
http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadencp12vin.html
15Ft. Masterkleer Tubing $8.85
http://www.petrastechshop.com/7id5odmagepu.html
Heatkiller LC Rev. 3 Heatsink $49.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=495&products_id=26572
2x Yate Loon $10
Biocide $3
T-fitting/Plug $2.50

That puts me at ~$170. What revisions to make?

Also check and see if you can get a double thickness radiator in there. Like the XSPC or Danger Den ones. If you're going swiftech, look into the stackable type, so you can upgrade later if you decide to W/C other components.

Rather than biocide, try going with a kill coil, or if you're going to add a reservoir throw in a silver ingot. I've done it for the first time on my rig, and I'm surprised, that from the day I put the coil in 4-5 months ago, my water is still as clear as the day I got it. I have lots of sunlight in my room too... Can't help that I live on the sunny side of a mountain.

Anyways, in my old rig, I got buildup that I had to clean out every 6-8 months.

Why aren't you adding a reservoir to your rig? It helps with bleeding out air bubbles.
 
Back
Top