[W]arm? XFX HD5770 1 GB SS @ MC $149.99 b4 MIR

I'm sorry but I fail to understand, what is the big deal about this card or the price?

Check out the power requirement :confused:.

Power Supply Requirements 630 Watt Power Supply

that PSU requirement is total BS. BTW, newegg is offering the dual slot version for just $5 more. The one you linked to is OOS at newegg but it was $110 after MIR which was a hot deal.

Other than being a powerful single slot card nothing remarkable, considering for the price there are better deals out there.

Other than being a powerful single slot card nothing remarkable, considering for the price there are better deals out there.

The reason I asked is because while there are lower-priced cards out there (the XFX HD5750, for example), how much is the spread for single 6-pin PCIe cards these days? Typically, such cards are running from $150-200USD B&M ($20 USD less e-tail). It's basically the HD5770 for the HD5750's price.

I did include the traditional (dual-slot) version of the same card in the query as well.

Still, will we see lower prices, or will the HD57xx go away altogether first?

Also, just because a card normally doesn't use two slots, there's nothing wrong with allowing for the extra space, if airflow is a concern (the traditional design forces the allotment on you; worse, you get dunned for the pleasure in the wallet).

Newegg has been running the dual-slot version for $139.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447) - however, some folks pay cash (or would rather buy retail).

I guess it's a decent deal if you really need a single slot card. The 5770 may well be the fastest single-slot card out right now. I'm kind of surprised they haven't come out with a single-slot 6850 by now, though. And BTW, dual slot 5770s can be had for like $100-115 if you wait for deals.

I guess it's a decent deal if you really need a single slot card. The 5770 may well be the fastest single-slot card out right now. I'm kind of surprised they haven't come out with a single-slot 6850 by now, though. And BTW, dual slot 5770s can be had for like $100-115 if you wait for deals.

Doesn't the HD6850 run cooler than the 5770?

This card is a pretty awesome deal for a select few.. Generally there are better deals to be had, but for those who are limited to a single slot.

Also good for those wanting a little extra video horsepower that already have a 5770 in the plethora of boards that put the x16 length slots right next to each other (though the 2nd would typically be running at x4, but with 5770's that shouldn't bottleneck too much)

Back