W-A-S-D not responding properly

mmgood

n00b
When I play Minecraft or Battlefield Bad Company 2 the WASD keys don't work. In fact any key pushed on the keyboard reacts like a scroll wheel on my mouse. I have searched for an answer to this problem for a bit and haven't come across anything. If I run the program as an administrator the keyboard works fine! I don't want to run as admin everytime I play. There has to be a solution to this? I tried enabling in the properties to always run as administrator, but if I do that, it still doesn't work.

I have windows 7. I have sticky keys disabled. Keyboard works fine for everthing else. I did try a different keyboard in those games and it still didn't work.
Is there anything else I should be looking at?

specs, post them.

what keyboards have you tried, what background services are running while you game, what mouse driver(s) are currently installed etc...

Get that Windows 7 install disk handy.

Has this worked before and just now suddenly stopped working? Or is it not working off a fresh install?

I'm assuming you installed some type of keyboard/mouse software or other software related to input (graphics tablet, foreign language software, etc) which is causing the issue based on the information currently available.

Do you have a game controller, joystick, or other such device plugged in? If so, unplug it

I edited specs into Sig.

I am using the Eclipse III keyboard. I used a stock Dell keyboard and a wireless logitech keyboard. None worked with these games.
My mouse is a microsoft Sidewinder. I have also tried a stock dell mouse, to no avail.
I have 100% up to date drivers for mouse, keyboard, mobo, etc.

I have no other usb devices plugged in.

It worked with Vista, I installed Win 7 and now it isn't working. When I look to update JAVA it says I am up to date with the 32 bit version. Perhaps that is my issue???

As far as background services...nothing really. I don't run torrents or anything. I usually have Skype on, but that is it. And of course an antivirus.

Thanks for the responses, I think I will try reinstalling JAVA and see what that does.

I have 100% up to date drivers for mouse, keyboard, mobo, etc.
Explain.

Did you manually install drivers for these devices or did you just plug them in and they work?

How does java have anything to do with this issue? 32 bit java is fine. Most plugins are 32 bit anyways. You can run 32 bit applications in a 64 bit os, but not the other way around. There is a 64 bit version of java, but as far as I know you don't need it. Maybe only if running IE64 would you bother. I wouldn't put any more thought into this issue.

A lot of people have a BAD idea of installing anything and everything that they come upon. If this is you, stop the habit and reinstall windows.

To be honest unless you happen to come across someone with the exact same issue it will be pretty hard to remotely diagnose this issue. Reinstalling windows from scratch after a quick format would be the best bet. Then to carefully watch what you throw onto that box so that you can identify what triggers this issue as it happens. Not down the road when it's too late and 20 driver and application installs later.

I just installed Windows 7 approx. 2 weeks ago. I have installed iTunes, Java, Minecraft, Steam, and Furmark. That is it. None of those should interfere.

I manually installed the drivers in the initial troubleshooting. Everything was plug-n-play compatible with windows, but i wanted to be sure so i installed them afterwords.

The fact that I can run it fine by right clicking and selecting run as admin, but not if I select to always run as admin is perplexing.

I have seen threads with other folks having this problem, but they all seem to have linux or ibus running. I do not have either of these. I guess I will go with a reinstall, although I am pretty sure it will be a total waste of time. But I better do it now before I get too many more things on this PC to wipe away. :)

Uninstall the saitek cyborg macro software
I read elsewhere that dual booting possible was an issue with this. I don't see how that is possible, but nonetheless I reformatted and deleted Vista which was running on a different harddrive in my computer. I then reinstalled windows and all the programs I had and everything is working fine.
I had to reinstall windows 7 after deleting Vista off of a different harddrive due to user error :p.

I never did try uninstalling the saitek macros software, this would be an option for any other users who may have this issue in the future.

Yeah, my first thought would be to remove any drivers for keyboards, mice and controllers. KB + mouse should work fine without drivers an they'd be my first thought of something causes the problems you described.

Back