• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VX922 and VP930b Tossup

feebleminded

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 7, 2005
Messages
86
I am going to get myself a little christmas present this year, and it is a 19" LCD. I have been afraid to switch because of the fear of ghoasting because I mainly play FPS games. I narrowed my search down to two Viewsonic monitors, the VX922, and the VP930b. I am leaning to the VX922 because of its low response rate, but I have read on Toms Hardware that this monitor is not "accurate," and it also has a contrast ratio of 650:1 which is considerably less than the VP930b's 1000:1. I have also been reading user reviews on newegg talking about a visible X on the VP930b.

Any thoughts on these two monitors? Also, if I do decide to go with the VX922, is there much of a difference between it and the VX924?
 
You play fps a lot? Heres some advice dont buy LCD. I am avid FPS player and LCD simply WILL not be good enough for you. Anyone who says their LCD is good enough for gaming simply isnt a good enough gamer to notice. If you do lans or play competitively, absolutely, do not, under any circumstance buy an LCD.
 
Agree completely. If you are a sensitive person then you will notice ghosting. I've tried the fastest lcd's on the market and none of them compared to my diamond pro 930sb crt. Gaming was way way better on the crt......
 
I respect everyones opinion but the 2 previous replies to this post had nothing to do with the question being asked... obviously the originator of this post has already decided to make the switch to LCD.

Now that being said .. I myself would like some help with the same type of decision.. I have decided to forgo another monsterous 19" CRT that weighs 8 tons, produces excess heat, takes up 120 square ft. on my desk & consumes massive amounts of power in favor of an LCD.

I play games. Quake4,Doom3,HL2....and more.

I have read numerous reviews from many,many online and offline hardware publications about various LCDs and gaming experiences and I've come to the conclusion that as long as you do your homwork and shop around you CAN find a suitable replacment for a CRT in LCD form.

the benifits of switching to an LCD should overshadow the possibility of slight ghosting in games to the most sensitive of people.

soooo.... which LCD?? the viewsonic VX922 $400 or the VX924 $350 ???
i haven't had any experience with the vp series as they are out of my price range.
 
well, I have decided to move to LCD because I have to. I am moving to college soon and I have limited desk space, also I have been going to quite a few LANs recently and the CRT is so cumbersome. So pertaining to the topic at hand, any comments on the VX922 or VP930b?
 
Chewbacca said:
You play fps a lot? Heres some advice dont buy LCD. I am avid FPS player and LCD simply WILL not be good enough for you. Anyone who says their LCD is good enough for gaming simply isnt a good enough gamer to notice. If you do lans or play competitively, absolutely, do not, under any circumstance buy an LCD.

I play BF2 competitively on a good team. Although CRTs are definitely the BEST, I wouldn't discount all LCDs as not being good enough. I immensely enjoy my LCD, and although I can see the quality difference, it doesn't bother me enough to go back. LCDs have their advantages and disadvantages, and the only way you'll know if it's for you or not is to try it.
 
feebleminded said:
What monitor do you use Ludic?

I have dual VP201s from Viewsonic. They work for me, but I'm more forgiving than most.
dualsetupsmall.jpg
 
I just ordered the viewsonic vp930b. I'm going to give an lcd one more try and see if I can get used to it playing games. Desktop use I have no problem. I know for that it blows away a crt. Its games that I worry about. I have played alot on lcd's with 8 ms response times and they were certainly ghosting and blurring. Now I want to see if I can get used to it like some people have said they did. We'll see I got it from zipzoomfly for $520 out the door. What sucks is I live about 1 mile from them and they wouldn't let me pick it up :-( So I should get it by thursday or friday at the lastest.....I'll throw up my review of it later and compare it to my crt as well....
 
If you getting an lcd for games I would suggest the vx922 because its the fastest lcd monitor out there.

Its 33% faster than the vx924 and its a leap in performance compared to today's standard 8ms displays.

Although a crt has better performance, and lcd has better image quality, excellent text, vibrant colors, looks better, and saves desk space.

Its your call, I am ordering a vx922 when i receive my next paycheck. The vp930b wasn't fast enough for me, it just needed to be a tad faster, and it gave me headaches beceause I am really sensitive to blurring.
 
I actually just cancelled my order :-( After thinking about it, $520 for a 19 inch Lcd is just too much for me. I want someting more around $350 max. Maybe the L90D+...........
 
falcon26 said:
I actually just cancelled my order :-( After thinking about it, $520 for a 19 inch Lcd is just too much for me. I want someting more around $350 max. Maybe the L90D+...........

On zipzoomfly they sell for 469.00 with 2 day shipping.. How were you spending $520? I had bought mine the first week they came out for $429.
 
$469 plus tax for me comes out to about $519.......I also have to pay this $8 waste fee....
 
Anyway I just saw my nephew playing his train game on my Dad's L90D+ and man oh man was it blurry. It was giving me a headache watching it. I think I'll stick with my CRT until thoe new SED monitors come out....
 
falcon26 said:
Anyway I just saw my nephew playing his train game on my Dad's L90D+ and man oh man was it blurry. It was giving me a headache watching it. I think I'll stick with my CRT until thoe new SED monitors come out....


I don't know how people review these lcd monitors claiming they don't ghost but when ever i try one; I see blurring at first sight.

I hope SED finally solves the response problem.
 
So far that has been my feelings exactly. Every Lcd I have used or looked at, the first thing I think to myself is Man this thing looks like crap compared to my crt. Now what I mean by that is blurring. If I am standing still then yes to me an LCD looks better in games than a Crt, but as soon as you move it goes downhill fast...
 
I am going with the VX922. I am afraid of ghoasting from the VP930b, and the VX924 has a contrast ratio of 550:1, so I am going with the VX922. Thanks for all your comments. I won't be buying it until after christmas, so if you have any comments that might sway or support my choice, they would be greatly appreciated.
 
Anyone saying Blah Blah Blah LCD GHOSTING should probably look at the VX922 before opening their mouths. What's the best LCD you naysayers have tried? 8ms? 12ms? That's probably not even a gray-to-gray measurement. This one is 2ms, gray-to-gray.

I'd probably still prefer the 930b though. There's a gigantic difference between an 8-bit panel (truecolor) vs. a crappy 6-bit (16.2M color only with dithering) panel.
 
Neurofreeze said:
Anyone saying Blah Blah Blah LCD GHOSTING should probably look at the VX922 before opening their mouths. What's the best LCD you naysayers have tried? 8ms? 12ms? That's probably not even a gray-to-gray measurement. This one is 2ms, gray-to-gray.

I'd probably still prefer the 930b though. There's a gigantic difference between an 8-bit panel (truecolor) vs. a crappy 6-bit (16.2M color only with dithering) panel.


The difference of 6bit / 8bit (in my eyes) was not even there. I have had a 6bit monitor, 8bit and 19" crt. Please save that theory stuff for a paper and don't talk about color banding becaues i still saw it on a 8bit panel. The only thing that degrades quality of 6bit panel's is the viewing angle, sometimes you have to find a sweet spot because the top or bottom of the screen may be a bit darker depending on the angle you are looking at it.
 
Neurofreeze said:
I'd probably still prefer the 930b though. There's a gigantic difference between an 8-bit panel (truecolor) vs. a crappy 6-bit (16.2M color only with dithering) panel.

Yeah, I have wondered if there is a big difference between 8bit and 6bit color. I have never seen a side by side comparison, so I don't know if there is a visible difference, not just a theoretical difference.
 
I've been wondering the same thing.
I've been stuck between the Samsung 970p and the Viewsonic VX922. I figured the colors would be a "noticable" differance so I'm leaning toward the Samsung. But now that you mention it I've never seen a 6 and 8 bit monitor side by side so I don't know if I would see the differance or not. If not than the Viewsonic is a lot cheaper and might be faster.
 
I've had my dad's l90d+ next to my vp191b one is a 6 bit and one is an 8 bit. To be honest I notice no difference between the two, they looked exactly the same to me...
 
falcon26 said:
I've had my dad's l90d+ next to my vp191b one is a 6 bit and one is an 8 bit. To be honest I notice no difference between the two, they looked exactly the same to me...


Falcon man we're on the same page. I didn't notice a difference either in color quality. The only thing I did notice was that 8bit panels have a better viewing angle ( well the new ones).
 
Back
Top