VX800 vs. newer LCDs

stephen2002

Limp Gawd
The quick question for those who do not want to read all of the details is (other than resolution/input differences) the Gateway better than this Viewsonic?

Now for all of the details.

I currently own a ViewSonic VX800, which is an older 18" LCD display and is no longer manufactured. Other than some ghosting, which is noticable but tolerable, I really like this display. The viewing angles are excellent and the gradient displays are prefectly acceptable even for working with 3D modeling that is totally full of grey gradients. According to the specs on this page it is a 25ms MVA panel with some sort of acceleration technology to reduce ghosting. In today's new measuring techniques 25ms is considered garbage, but I'm not sure how it compairs. I really like this display and would not even consider upgrading if I didn't want more pixels to spread out my workspace a bit.

With the newer displays, specifically the 21" Gateway (according to this page it is a S-PVA panel), am I going to be getting a display that has less ghosting, better color, and better gradients? I would hate to spend $600 on a new monitor only to have it be not quite as good as my old screen.

refer to this thread for info: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=960883

Truthfully, I just got the 2185 and I've got to say it's one of the better monitors I've ever used. No ghosting, a very tiny amount of bleed at the corners, great refresh rate for an LCD, and of course the functionality is a big part in there.

stephen2002 said:
The quick question for those who do not want to read all of the details is (other than resolution/input differences) the Gateway better than this Viewsonic?

Now for all of the details.

I currently own a ViewSonic VX800, which is an older 18" LCD display and is no longer manufactured. Other than some ghosting, which is noticable but tolerable, I really like this display. The viewing angles are excellent and the gradient displays are prefectly acceptable even for working with 3D modeling that is totally full of grey gradients. According to the specs on this page it is a 25ms MVA panel with some sort of acceleration technology to reduce ghosting. In today's new measuring techniques 25ms is considered garbage, but I'm not sure how it compairs. I really like this display and would not even consider upgrading if I didn't want more pixels to spread out my workspace a bit.

With the newer displays, specifically the 21" Gateway (according to this page it is a S-PVA panel), am I going to be getting a display that has less ghosting, better color, and better gradients? I would hate to spend $600 on a new monitor only to have it be not quite as good as my old screen.

Check out this review of the Gateway vs other 21" monitors.
http://informationweek.desktoppipel...SNDBECKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleId=175003542&pgno=1

Thanks for the links. I've been reading that long thread about the Gateway and for the most part people seem to be really happy with it.

amalgamas - Have you used any older 25ms LCDs? If so would you care to give me your opinion on the difference in the ghosting between the old and the new?

Back