***VX2025wm and XBOX 360***

Devorikk

n00b
Ouch...suddenly now I'm in a tough spot since SanityStream informed that the 360 looks like crap on the VX2025wm. Would anyone be able to post some pics, or is there anyone else that has tried this and can provide some additional input?

Are there any alternatives in the same price-range (excluding the Dell)?

Thanks...

--Dev

Oops.. sorry I made your life tougher :)

I should elaborate on what I said about the Viewsonic and the Xbox 360. If you've seen the VGA cable "wash out" effect that comes from hooking up the 360 to a PC monitor, then just know it's no better or worse than that. It's not like the Viewsonic is somehow worse, it's not. It's like most every other LCD I've seen hooked up to the Xbox.

Some people really don't seem to mind the color wash out, but I can't stand it. It bleeds the life from a game and destroys most shadow effects. Like many monitors I've seen, the Viewsonic has no way to compensate for this.

This is not the fault of Viewsonic or any other monitor. It's Microsoft's fault. For some bizarre reason I've never seen explained, the VGA signal out of the Xbox 360 is different from either the component or composite signal. They do not suffer the color wash out, only VGA does, so you'll need a monitor that can blast the color levels to compensate.

If you're lucky enough to live in a city with a Fry's store, buy the Viewsonic there and test it on your 360 to see for yourself. Fry's has a 30-day money back no questions asked return policy if you don't like it.

By no means did you make my life tougher...you provided valuable information which I appreciate! :) Unfortunately we don't have a Fry's here in Colorado...

What do you think about this for an alternative? Do you think this could help in any way?

CANON 9270A001 Adapter For Component-to-VGA

A lot of people say that VGA is far superior to Component, so I'm wondering if I would just be replacing one bad quality with another by trying to do it this way.

--Dev

VGA and component are both RGB. It should be the same in theory (I have not tested myself)

Ah yes, Colorado. I was born there. The one and only thing Los Angeles (where I live now) has over Denver is we have Fry's. You'd love Fry's. Oh well.

In my experience messing around with monitors this weekend, I'd say VGA is superior to component. I can run component into my Gateway, and there's no question the clarity and sharpness suffers a bit. Not a whole lot, but it is noticeable and VGA is better in that regard . On the other hand, component *does* have the advantage of properly handling the Xbox 360's colors. No wash out at all.

As for that product you mentioned, I think you'd need to spend just a tad more ($60 total) and get a transcoder to properly convert from component to VGA and keep the signal strong, clear, and have brightness control. By all accounts, the best one is the VD-Z3 available here for $60:

http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=67&Itemid=28

Unfortunately they're back-ordered, but you *should* be able to take the 360's component signal (with proper color), convert it to VGA, and then send that to any monitor. Just don't expect super-sharp PC resolution though, component does look a little soft and less defined (but you gain the full richness of the gamma and color). But if you look through the support forum at that website, you'll see people reporting good luck using the VD-Z3 with their Xbox 360.

Rare1 said:
VGA and component are both RGB. It should be the same in theory (I have not tested myself)

Which is why this problem on the Xbox 360 is so frustrating. The VGA and component signals are vastly different in terms of color output. Search the official Xbox.com support forums and you'll see a lot of people experience the problem on PC monitors.

Ahh yes, I failed to remember you mentioned this product in your other post. Well this isn't so bad then :) I don't have the XBOX VGA adapter anyway, so if it's just a $60 expenditure, that definitely works.

I'm coming from using a friend's 56" Samsung DLP via Component, and the color/sharpness seemed fine on that. If I get that same quality, just out of a smaller screen, I'm happy.

Whew ok...this is good news. Thank you :)

just to help, I agonised over which widescreen monitor to get for ages for my pc and xbox 360. I got an acer al2032wa after returning my dell 2005fpw. It is absolutely brilliant especially for xbox 360. much better than the dell and it has a scart connection which means as an added bonus I've been able to hook my ps2 simultaneousy!!! I cant imagine an xbox 360 looking that much cop on a 4:3 aspect monitor and I'd never go back!!!

do yourself and your xbox a favour go widescreen!!!

p.s The logitech vga cable for the 360 is very good too!!!

marcus321 said:
just to help, I agonised over which widescreen monitor to get for ages for my pc and xbox 360. I got an acer al2032wa after returning my dell 2005fpw.

Just curious - what makes you say the Acer is better than the Dell?

Back