Vsync issues in games w/ 4870

mobia

n00b
Hey all,

So I made the jump back to ATI with the release of the 4800 series (been using nvidia since I replaced my 9800 pro), and am so far pretty happy with the card. Something that is bothering me, however, is a certain issue I am having with games that I enable vsync with (specifically, world of warcraft)...

For whatever reason, when vsync is enabled (either by application or through catalyst), the game does this strange "skip" every couple of seconds, making everything look jumpy. Without vsync on, I get some tearing. It's lose-lose :( I'm running a dell 24'' and play the game at 1900X1200@60hz. Anybody have any similar issues or know of a workaround? :confused:

turn off vsync and crank all details in the AA control panel - 24x edge detect, 16x AF, advance AI all that

Turning off VSync and cranking up all the details does not solve his issue.

I love VSync too, I can't stand screen-tearing, it drives me nuts. Try Triple Buffering if you can.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think I should have to max out all settings to solve the issue, or at least I didn't have to with my last card.

WoW has a tripple buffer option that doesn't solve the issue either unfortunately. I'm also having trouble now with Unreal Tournament 3... seems regardless of how I have vsync set, it does this super annoying skip every 2 seconds... even in menus. I don't want to be quick to blame ATI, but I've never had an issue like this with an nvidia card (yes, I loaded a fresh install of vista/winxp as I like to do whenever I make a big hardware upgrade).

Any more input would be appreciated!

Try uninstalling the driver, use something like DriverCleaner to completely wipe it from your system (and possibly any leftovers from old Nvidia card installations), then reinstall. Before changing any settings, try a game and see if you still have the issue. If you don't, start changing settings. If it happens again, it must be one of the settings somewhere along the way.

If none of that helps, try installing it in a different computer if possible. If it STILL happens in a different computer, it *might* be a defective card. If it doesn't happen in the other computer, there might be some component in your computer causing an issue, such as the power supply.

Turning off VSync and cranking up all the details does not solve his issue.

I love VSync too, I can't stand screen-tearing, it drives me nuts. Try Triple Buffering if you can.

it helped alot for me cause with the details cranked i get a lower MAX FPS - instead of getting 300FPS on some cs:s maps or TF i am more around 40-100 - and i dont see as much tearing

Now i do see some,. but it is so little i will take it over my FPS dropping to sub 30 far too often cause of Vsync.

I have the same problem on my 4870. It skips every once in a while. If I turn off vsync its ok, but their I get tearing which is worse :-( And another thing is, some game I have like BF2 sometimes vsync doesn't work at all. I have to exit the game and launch CCC and turn vysnc off then on again and it will work. Its getting really annoying actually. My old 8800GT worked flawless with vsync no problems. I've been unimpressed with the 4 series so far. They run hot as hell, the drivers so far having been very unstable and you get the odd things happening once in a while, like losing video signal, my fan reving up and then down for no reason while on the desktop. Yes the card is fast but I just don't know. I'm almost to the point of returning it and sticking with my 8800GT....

^^ agree completely. im running the 4870 msi card, upgraded from a 4850.. and that upgrade from 8800gt; like most. i am thinking of selling it and going back to an nvidia card. i have all the same issues, down to the video signal lost and lower frame rates in cod4 then with the 8800gt card. i have tried multiple drivers, and followed very good driver install protocol and cleaning. i thought it was just the msi, but it looks like all brands...

Back