vSwitch tunneling / encapsulation?

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
VM1->vSwitch on host1->Physical Switch->vSwitch on host2->VM2

My goal: Replay a traffic file (.pcap) on VM1 and have all the packets show up on VM2.
My problem: The physical switch will not pass through VLAN tagged traffic. It drops it.
My concept: Encapsulate the traffic on the vSwitch so that the physical switch doesn't know the content, then expose the traffic once it hits the vSwitch on host2.

Possible? Or is there another way to reach my goal?

I may be wrong but I think this is the very premise behind VXLANs

Sure, it's possible - you have to pick an encapsulation protocol of some kind, and direct the traffic through endpoints. VXLAN does do this, although you don't generally encapsulate a VLAN inside of one as much a VXLAN segments.

I've done something similar with IPSec in the past using openswan. .

Buy a new physical switch. Way easier.
I wish. Sadly, we're stuck developing on the hardware the customer has already purchased.

I've been trying to get OpenVPN to work, but it doesn't look like our software recognizes tun0 as an interface... So now I get to try something like the CSR1000v/Nexus1000v (or maybe NSX if I can ever get VMware to agree to give us an eval version!)

I wish. Sadly, we're stuck developing on the hardware the customer has already purchased.

I've been trying to get OpenVPN to work, but it doesn't look like our software recognizes tun0 as an interface... So now I get to try something like the CSR1000v/Nexus1000v (or maybe NSX if I can ever get VMware to agree to give us an eval version!)

have you tried tap0?

have you tried tap0?
ifconfig shows tun0, lo, and eth0. I honestly hadn't considered trying tap0, as I didn't think it would work. If the OS doesn't see the interface, how would the application? Probably worth trying, though. I'm new to the whole "VPN" thing from an administrative standpoint. I'll give it a shot on Monday.

ifconfig shows tun0, lo, and eth0. I honestly hadn't considered trying tap0, as I didn't think it would work. If the OS doesn't see the interface, how would the application? Probably worth trying, though. I'm new to the whole "VPN" thing from an administrative standpoint. I'll give it a shot on Monday.

NVM. one appears to be network layer and other is bridge.

see here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP

An HP Flex-10/10D. Not "technically" a switch. Works fine for traditional traffic. Replaying traffic? No go.
Ouch, didn't see that one coming! Was wondering what sort of recent switch wouldn't forward vlan tags, makes more sense now.

Back