vSphere data copy error

MarshallX

n00b
I'm having an issue downloading the folders that contain virtual machines on my ESXi server. I'm downloading it from the data-store browser, it appears to download, it varies in how much gets downloaded but invariably it ends is "An I/O error has occurred".

Ive tried Veem FastSCP but I also get an error "failed to get file 'nfc://conn:...." This error started to happen for me around ESXi v4.0 and still occurs in v4.1.0,348481 (newest version and patches). Ive also removed all arrays, formatted the drives, reinstalled ESXi and tried copying the folders again to no avail. I thought it may have something to do with NIC teaming as the server is connected with a pair of embedded Intel gigabit NIC's (which connect to a gigabit switch), but Ive installed it clean with no NIC teaming and still the error occurs. Ive also run consistency checks on both servers to make sure both arrays are solid. All cabling between the servers are Cat6 and connectors properly crimped.

The only successful way to download files from the data-store have been through a web browser, but this is way too time consuming and isn't something that can be scheduled automatically. Ive been fighting with this for a while now and poured over quite a few sites without success, so any input is greatly appreciated.

If hardware is of an issue this is how its layed out:

ESXi>Supermicro X7DBE+
-Embedded Intel NIC's
-Adaptec 31605 Adapter->1x250GB Ent SATA drive
->4x1TB Ent SATA drives RAID6

Connect to a Linksys SRW2048 gigabit switch

Downloading to

Windows 2008 R2 Ent Server>Supermicro X7DVL-E
-Embedded Intel NIC's
-Adaptec 5085->2x320GB Ent SATA drives RAID1
->4x1TB Ent SATA drives RAID5

I welcome any suggestions you guys may have.

Oh and its joined to AD and the user I'm logged in with on the ESXi server is the same user I'm logged in with on the destination server for the file copy and has privileges to write to the folder.

Don't do that. The browser NFC copy routines are not designed for copying VM folders off - they'll have problems (as you encountered)

Sadly, the ESXi SSH server is, well, junk. You'll have better luck SCPing to a linux box, and then from there to windows.

Or, export to OVF template, and reimport wherever you need. :)

It use to work fine thats the thing. I use to be able to download the folders to back them up. Downloading the individual files is way too time consuming.

Correct, but it was never safe, and never intended to work that way. You can SCP entire directories, or export the entire VM as an OVF.

Back