VRaptor Raid 0 Corruption

Spotta

n00b
Hi all

I'm new round here, but this forum seems full of knowledgeable dudes, so I'm hoping someone can help me.
I was running a Asus P5NT-WS on a pair of 150Gb Raptors in Raid 0 with 3 x 320Gb hdd's for storage. I have recently bought a pair of 300Gb VRaptors. As I also have 4 x500Gb Drives to replace my current storage ones, and reading about the trouble some people are having setting up Rais array's using onbard Raid, I purchased a Areca 1222 PCI-e Raid card to control my arrays.
I had waited until I had read up before trying to sort out my new stuff, but no matter what I did, whenever I installed an OS on the pair of VRaptors on my Acreca 1222, it got corruption straight away. I'd do a clean install, reboot, and chkdsk would run and find errors.
On friday my P5NT-WS went down (coincidence???) so I had to rush out and buy a new mobo. I've now got a Asus Striker II Nse, so I've spent a few days trying to get these VRaptors working. I can't. No matter what I do, once I have installed my OS (Vista x64) and reboot, I get chkdsk checking the array. In desperation I went into Raid system function and disabled SATA NCQ Support, I also disabled Tag Queuing in the Volume set function and rebuilt the array - no difference.
From having a search on this forum, I know a few of you run VRaptors with an Areca 1222 - Did you have to change any settings to get these to work ok? - As I can't seem to manage it =[

Thanks,
Spotta

Dude, there is no issues using Intel ICHxR onboard RAID for RAID0. It's freaking rock solid. Shoulda stuck with the Intel RAID.

I would go to WD's web site and go to the support section, and download the diagnostic program. (Datalifeguard I think.) Get the dos CD iso version. Burn your CD, boot it up and run the full or complete test on both drives.

Don

Dude, there is no issues using Intel ICHxR onboard RAID for RAID0. It's freaking rock solid. Shoulda stuck with the Intel RAID.

I don't know about that
All I've had is trouble which is why I switched to an ARC 1220

I would try and run the WD Diagnostics because that is a bit strange I have two in RAID0 on an Adaptec 31205 and its fine.

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I did run the WD Diagnostics initially when I first had problems, one drive failed the quick test and was replaced. I shall run both tests again on both drives.

Spotta

Hi

They both pass both tests :confused:
I've set them up again and have copied some data to them to see if it corrupts when its just data and not an OS.
One other thing. I use 2 PSU's - One for the mobo and gfx, another for all the hdd's
Would having these drives on a separate PSU cause this problem?

thanks, Spotta

I would move the drives over. I have heard where PSU acted very weird unless there is a minimum load being used.

Back