VR Reality

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
So we have been doing VR stuff around HardOCP for a good while now, and this article caught my eye this morning.

These VR social networks aren't 'The Matrix', but they're getting pretty close

I have dealt with a few multi-player VR interfaces and games, but one of the best "first" experiences I had was in Onward. I stood there in VR with a friend of mine on the West Coast chatting each other up before realizing we had let our team down. And then I pulled my sidearm and shot him in the head. It was funny. I would do it again.

Ahhhh . . . the glory of white (soon to be beige) cases, peripherals and trappings.

I think the Onward dev sold out to HTC/Vive is what I heard last week. Which is probably a good thing.

Still waiting for all these VR games to get better. Devs are pumping out garbage right now in what it seems to me just to showcase what might be possible down the road. The first dev that releases a well polished, thoughtfully designed, and no floaty shit and horrible animations will hit a home run. Have yet to see a worthy VR game for today's graphics and standards to match the price tag. I couldn't even watch an Onward demo on youtube without feeling sick so i can't imagine it would be any good in VR either.

Still waiting for all these VR games to get better. Devs are pumping out garbage right now in what it seems to me just to showcase what might be possible down the road. The first dev that releases a well polished, thoughtfully designed, and no floaty shit and horrible animations will hit a home run. Have yet to see a worthy VR game for today's graphics and standards to match the price tag. I couldn't even watch an Onward demo on youtube without feeling sick so i can't imagine it would be any good in VR either.
In my opinion most developers are wasting their time on gimmicks to try and stand out.

This feels very much like when the Wii first came out and devs were releasing garbage just because MOTION CONTROLS. Of course the Wii never really improved that much, but IMO that was more of a limitation of the hardware than anything else.

In my opinion most developers are wasting their time on gimmicks to try and stand out.

This feels very much like when the Wii first came out and devs were releasing garbage just because MOTION CONTROLS. Of course the Wii never really improved that much, but IMO that was more of a limitation of the hardware than anything else.
Do any of you own a Vive or Rift? I am going to go out on a limb and say no. If I am wrong, I will buy your shitty HMD from you for 50% of what you paid. And of course it is so shitty, that should be a good deal.

Sold out, no. Got invited to Valve's headquarters to help speed along development.

http://uploadvr.com/valve-onward-dante-buckley/

Might end up selling out though, guess we'll see. That would be a good thing though, I agree.
I did not mean "sold out" in a bad way. I think the best thing he could do is sell his IP to further develop it. I offered to send a camera crew to interview him last year, and I never even got a response. His business acumen is not the best.

I don't, but I'm not anti VR. I'm actually really excited for it, just not yet. It's not that there aren't good VR games out there, it's just that when a new tech comes along like this devs rush to get their games out first, and you get some shitty games.
So you have not spent any time with VR, but you know all the games are shitty?

Sure, there was a lot of dev testing and experimenting with stuff over the past couple of years. But like Kyle said, there has been a lot of really good stuff released lately and 2017 is going to be great. I'm hearing about Fallout 4 in VR, on the PSVR side there is Resident Evil 7 which I really hope comes over to PC eventually, Rockband VR which sounds like a lot of fun.

Here is the part a lot of you guys don't understand though. VR is just a lot more immersive and fun, by default. Take for example Onward, which we praise heavily. That game wouldn't even get the time of day from most people if it wasn't VR, it would just suck so bad if it were a flat frame game.

Then there is Doom 3 BFG with VR Mod. A game from like 10+ years ago, which most of us around here wouldn't bother to waste our time playing again on a monitor. But, enter it in VR and it's far more immersive and fun than ANYTHING released lately played only on a monitor (CoD, BF1).

Then there is the stuff that IS still pretty good on a monitor, like Dirt Rally and Elite Dangerous.. Which played in VR is Exponentially better.. I can't go back to playing those titles on a monitor, and I've got a 40" 4K. It just does not compare.

So sure, there hasn't been a whole lot of what you would consider AAA content yet. But my point is VR hasn't really needed it for it to be a more immersive and compelling experience. Some of the stuff people have been enjoying more than others have been the cheap simple stuff like Eleven and that Pool game stuff. Once the AAA content starts rolling in, that's just going to make it that much better..

And you know what.. I'm just going to call it right now.

Half Life muthafuckin 3, is gonna be a VR title.

And you know what.. I'm just going to call it right now.

Half Life muthafuckin 3, is gonna be a VR title.
HL2 would actually be a good VR title. VR requires very high framerate and resolution, and an old game like HL2 with less intensive graphics would be ideal for that.

HL1 - Was revolutionary for its time. NPC with mouths, interactive map etc.
HL2 - Was revolutionary for its time. Amazing GFx for its time, actual physics in a game, face properly rendered etc.
HL3 - I believe it will be revolutionary. The first full VR FPS.

I have an Oculus with the Touch controllers. It's true, most of the better games are short demo's or multiplayer battles (Dead & Buried, Unspoken) where you can be done a match in a few minutes. There are some good ones that have a story take a few hours to get through, my favorites are Arizona Sunshine and The Gallery. I'm working my way through Obduction at the moment, but it's super hard. But now that I've finished both of those I don't play with it much anymore unless I'm jumping into Elite (I REALLY wanna experience the alien encounter in the Oculus. Like. So bad!) I definitely hope some bigger, better games are coming out this year. That was an expensive kit to get for a few short multiplayer battles that I suck at playing. My kids sure love it though. I will say that.

As for Onward, it looked pretty neat. But as I understand it is a locomotion only game (I might be wrong) and that's definitely not my cup of tea. Elite can sometimes turn my stomach when I roll my ship.

How can one be immersed by bad graphics, bad pinpoint animations, floaty hands and/or tools? I have tried the Vive and I love the technology. Not bashing VR at all I just like most are still waiting for something that looks and feels good while in VR. They may have 1-2 titles that might accomplish this but I personally have yet to see anything worth dropping $600+. I guess I just don't understand the allure yet but I'm hoping a year from now it becomes great and then might be something I can back.

As for Onward, it looked pretty neat. But as I understand it is a locomotion only game (I might be wrong) and that's definitely not my cup of tea. Elite can sometimes turn my stomach when I roll my ship.

You are correct, it is a locomotion game. You should give it a try anyways, as it's not an overly expensive title. That and pretty much everyone I have demo'd it to said it doesn't make them feel sick, at all. I'm not sure why, but the locomotion system in Onward just works for most people. Some people still get sim sickness, but most it seems are fine with Dante's implementation. That is one of the main reasons why it has been so popular. The Doom 3 BFG uses the same control mechanism.

I used to get sick from some VR stuff, and still do a bit from some stuff. The Serious Sam VR with full locomotion makes me feel pretty ill after about 20-30m or so, but that is because the movement speeds are far more extreme than Onward which focuses on realism. Elite used to turn my stomach a little, but after time I got over it.

How can one be immersed by bad graphics, bad pinpoint animations, floaty hands and/or tools?.

Because they're really not that bad. I own Rift, but have tried the Vive as well - and feel they both provide an acceptable amount of clarity for a first generation product. I am very much looking forward to further advancement though.

The most likely culprit is that the headset was not setup properly for you. It makes a huge difference ensuring proper fit and IPD adjustment. Demo people don't seem to understand this.

I was happy in the early 90's with one of those mall VR games. I thought it was amazing and the bees knees. I've been waiting for good home VR. I was wanting the Sega Genesis VR, but that never happened.

I think I'll love the new VR. Just need a new video card before I drop another $600-700 on a VR display.

There are SO many opportunities for VR. I think a lot of them will require a larger market as they would be more niche style within the very limited VR owners. History/educational stuff.

I REALLY want to play some horror games. Not so much the jump scare stuff, but like Alien: Isolation.

A lot of gimmicks, but if they sell VR devices, more power to them. The more people that own them, the more games will be developed.

some. They can't all be good.

And where did I say I hadn't spent any time with them, I said I don't own one. I've tried them and like them and see huge potential with them. For me, they are not ready, not yet.
When the price point comes way down and there are AAA games, you will change your tune. But I totally understand you thoughts. I talked to guys like you in 1995 that became PC hardware enthusiasts when the content opened up.

So you have this brand new medium with a brand new set of rules and regulations in terms of horsepower requirements, what makes people puke, what makes people fall over, and on and on it goes. And the first thing that happens is all the Anonymous users of the internet go "NO Call of Duty on it? Forza Horizon 3 won't run on it? ITS CRAP"

If you buy into VR right now, you are buying into the second year with Smart Phones. So think back to the first app stores, jump ahead to year two...that's where its at right now. I suspect this year is the year we start to see some AAA titles that directly support the technology, and we also start to see developers getting more familiar with the tools as
the software continues to become refined. Through optimization alone we're seeing a significant reduction in the horsepower requirements on Oculus with the introduction of their Asynchronous Space Warp technology (it convincingly turns 45fps into 90fps to the point where I wish all my 2D games had a similar magic bullet driver available), and I believe
VIVE has a driver update on the way as well that does the same thing. Give. It. Time.

Onward is probably the first real type of game that "everyone expected at launch", you're there in VR in a slower-moving, tactical FPS that makes the most of the current hardware. I haven't tried it yet but it looks solid.

I like the smart phone analogy, that actually fits. It's like, remember a few years ago when being able to copy / paste was a feature.. lol

With Onward, at first, I struggled a little with where to bring my hands up when aiming to shoot someone - because you are not actually holding a gun to butt up against your shoulder. It didn't take very long for it to start feeling more natural though, and I was able to bring my weapon up / aim / fire - very quickly. Learning to throw a nade without sending my controller flying across the room... ya that too.. (Tip: use those wrist straps lol). Now after playing tactical fps in VR with motion controllers, moving a mouse to aim on a monitor just seems silly :)

VR is very much in an early adopter state. And really that is all you need to know. You will be one of those guys that indoctrinates others, or you will be the indoctrinated. VR is not a fad, it is going to change the world.

Luckily there are a few older games that make for the very best of experiences.
Doom 3 BFG may be getting on now but its as if it was made for VR.
The BFG version comes with support for 3D glasses. Someone ported it to VR and its awesome!
Even better there is an HD pack (not official), there are 3 Doom 3 versions included + none VR Doom 1 & 2 and it costs almost nothing.
Touch controllers are fully utilised by both guns and torch. You can reach round or above objects with them and can bodily lean or move about in the environment with your feet.

I've had Project Cars for a long time but only tried it on VR a few days ago and just wow!
Its a different level of precision when driving.
It feels so damn real.
Its a mid priced game on Steam but you can find good offers on key sites.

Both of those get an A+ from me on my Rift.
I'm looking out for other games that are as polished.

Last edited:
Luckily there are a few older games that make for the very best of experiences.
Doom 3 BFG may be getting on now but its as if it was made for VR.
The BFG version comes with support for 3D glasses. Someone ported it to VR and its awesome!
Even better there is an HD pack (not official), there are 3 Doom 3 versions included + none VR Doom 1 & 2 and it costs almost nothing.
Touch controllers are fully utilised by both guns and torch. You can reach round or above objects with them and can bodily lean or move about in the environment with your feet.

I've had Project Cars for a long time but only tried it on VR a few days ago and just wow!
Its a different level of precision when driving.
It feels so damn real.
Its a mid priced game on Steam but you can find good offers on key sites.

Both of those get an A+ from me on my Rift.
I'm looking out for other games that are as polished.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tip: Dirt Rally.

If you are enjoying Project Cars, Dirt Rally will make you cream your shorts.. Or shit your pants.. Could go either way I guess :) haha

Seriously though, Dirt Rally!

walle-ehumansinthespaceship.jpg

How can one be immersed by bad graphics, bad pinpoint animations, floaty hands and/or tools? I have tried the Vive and I love the technology. Not bashing VR at all I just like most are still waiting for something that looks and feels good while in VR. They may have 1-2 titles that might accomplish this but I personally have yet to see anything worth dropping $600+. I guess I just don't understand the allure yet but I'm hoping a year from now it becomes great and then might be something I can back.

Because much of the VR experience is about the physicality. Picked up a table tennis game. And while it was extremely cool, boy I sucked so bad at it that I returned it. VR adds interaction in gaming that's simply not achievable with a standard sitting position with a keyboard and mouse or controller. That's what makes it interesting. Without the tracking and virtual controllers, you'd be correct. Just iffy graphics.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Tip: Dirt Rally.

If you are enjoying Project Cars, Dirt Rally will make you cream your shorts.. Or shit your pants.. Could go either way I guess :) haha

Seriously though, Dirt Rally!
Cheers, I think lol.

I have Dirt Rally but only played it on flat screen.
I havent been able to invest the time into getting far with it, it needs a lot of precision.
So praps it is the ideal VR racing game.

The other thing I'm battling is space on my gaming SSD, its groaning.
Loads of games have been copied out.
Man, I havent got time for this much fun either.

Q: Do I ditch the girly, job or general life? :p

Back