VR Backpacks Outdated Soon?

Bieberfever

Weaksauce
Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what the enthusiasts here think about whether VR/AR backpacks or wearable PCs have much of a future with the Vive and Rift both having wireless solutions on the horizon. It seems to me that as the resolution of headsets goes up, which it inevitably will, wireless will likely have a harder and harder time managing the higher bandwidth required. That being said, the overall experience of not wearing more gear than necessary is obviously attractive. Thoughts?

With the wireless method on the horizon the backpacks will definitely be outdated.

until higher resolutions are required and people start growing tumors from all that radiation...

until higher resolutions are required and people start growing tumors from all that radiation...

The 60ghz signals used for wireless vr can't penetrate skin, so unless you plan on installing one intracranially, it's not going to do anything

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering what the enthusiasts here think about whether VR/AR backpacks or wearable PCs have much of a future with the Vive and Rift both having wireless solutions on the horizon. It seems to me that as the resolution of headsets goes up, which it inevitably will, wireless will likely have a harder and harder time managing the higher bandwidth required. That being said, the overall experience of not wearing more gear than necessary is obviously attractive. Thoughts?

The backpacks are a stop-gap solution until either a wireless solution is developed that works "good enough", or the market leans more towards the "lite" VR/AR where all the hardware is IN the headset.

The 60ghz signals used for wireless vr can't penetrate skin, so unless you plan on installing one intracranially, it's not going to do anything

How about the rectal option?

So as headsets move from 1080p to 4k and eventually 8k, wireless will continue to be a viable option? Just thinking about getting a backpack rig or making my own DIY, but don't want to spend the time or the money if it's just going going to be wasted on new tech.

What blog are you quoting this from?

Give 60ghz enough energy and it can certainly penetrate skin. It isn't penetration that matters in as much as frequency plus energy vs. your DNA. The threat is to our DNA. However, even if 60ghz penetrated it is still non-ionizing as it is a 5mm wavelength.

now we start talking gamma rays with picometer wavelengths which are small enough to do high energy damage to our DNA nucleotide(s) causing all kinds of mutations from point mutations, to frame shift errors, to just plain breaking the ribose and hydrogen bonds holding the helical backbone together.

If anything the energy given off by 60ghz that could penetrate skin, pending the power was high enough, would translate to heat damage to our internal anatomy under the skin.

Back