• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VPU Recover, what's wrong...

TekSomniaK

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 26, 2003
Messages
1,144
Hi I just built a computer for my cousin:

Shuttle SK43G
Athlon XP 2500+ (used AS3 with it)
1gig Geil pc3200
Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb
WD 120gb


The problem is that whenever we're playin games, it gives a VPU Recover error message. I've read that it's because of heating problems. I have the smartfan running at full and everything is just so hot. CPU is about 51-52C idle. I think that's just because of the surroundings, namely the power supply and video card. The heatsink on the 9800 pro is pretty hot to the touch. I'm sure it would be fine if I left the cover off of the computer. The thing is, my cousin's parents would throw a fit if they had to leave it off. They even told me over the phone that if they had to then they would return the Shuttle and get a different case. Screw that, I'm not helping them again if they decide to do that. I'm just in desperate need of any ideas that would help the heat. I even tried underclocking the video card just a little bit to see if it would make any difference.
 
Turn off the VPU recover and see if it doesn't help. Even after putting the artic silencer on my 9800p vpu would crash, though the temps weren't too high.
 
Now for some reason I'm getting MAJOR artifacts in every game. I didn't turn off VPU Recover.
 
I'm not gonna modify their video card. I think I'm gonna RMA it because it's showing an unacceptable amount of artifacts even with the case covering off the Shuttle.
 
Back
Top