VPN Service Providers

FlangeMonkey

Limp Gawd
Hi Guys,

I'm looking at VPN tunnels to establish network access from the States. Usual reasons really, that I'm sure I don't need to go into.

I know about the anonymity side of these services and although it will be apart of my decision, it won't be the main reason.

I'm looking at HideMyAss (HMA) and StrongVPN. Does anyone use any of these services?

Thanks,

Can I digress, why do you use giganews? I've always found them very expensive compared with other providers.

My advice would be decide on how you want to connect to it first, then based on that move forward. Essentially, will you want to use a software VPN client on your computer or will you want your firewall to control your VPN. Not all providers are created equal, and not all work well with a firewall controlled setup.

I have heard good reviews about VyperVPN (giganews).
btguard is a decent price as well.

Can I digress, why do you use giganews? I've always found them very expensive compared with other providers.

I have used Giganews since I have started using newsgroups and been happy enough with the service that I haven't looked elsewhere especially with their VPN service bundled in.

My advice would be decide on how you want to connect to it first, then based on that move forward. Essentially, will you want to use a software VPN client on your computer or will you want your firewall to control your VPN. Not all providers are created equal, and not all work well with a firewall controlled setup.

I have heard good reviews about VyperVPN (giganews).
btguard is a decent price as well.

Thanks for your response.

I'll be connecting via a router that isn't commonly used for SOHO, so I'll have fun configuring it despite the service. It can be either PPTP or L2TP, but more likely L2TP. I really don't have a problem as long as they allow routers to connect. I can always fall back to DD-WRT or a Linux router using OpenVPN. I'll also want to connect via a software client, but then I might have firewall issues, so that might not happen.

I'm really looking for some recommendations on what services are good. VyperVPN seems expensive, but I'm sure good considering there network. but I'll check out btguard.

I want to establish multiple connections to different servers at the same time, but that might be an issue with all services.

Thanks,

Have you thought about getting a VPS? You could set one up to be a proxy fairly easily.

http://library.linode.com/networking/openvpn

You could also get a dedicated server and split it with a couple people who want to use it for the same purpose. You could also use it for web hosting or image hosting, backup, minecraft, email, whatever.

Have you thought about getting a VPS? You could set one up to be a proxy fairly easily.

http://library.linode.com/networking/openvpn

You could also get a dedicated server and split it with a couple people who want to use it for the same purpose. You could also use it for web hosting or image hosting, backup, minecraft, email, whatever.

Thanks for the response. It has crossed my mind and is right up my street, however its total amount of data which could be the problem as well as speeds. Usually these services have data caps or rate limits.

If I can find a service at high speeds and no data usage caps, I think I'll do this, but this depends on the cost.

Thanks for the suggestion,

I would definately stick with OpenVPN and shy away from PPTP and even L2TP. OpenVPN, when configured properly, is much more secure.

Back