VPN/PPtP Question

Zetro

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys, I know this should not be this hard but this is driving me nuts.

Right now I am not able to VPN into any network from behind my ASUS WL-530G router. I am forwarding TCP ports 1723 and 47 to the specified computer and the Windows firewall of that machine is turned off. The router itself notes that it is VPN pass through enabled but obviously that is not the case.

The VPN connection itself never actually starts connecting, if I bypass the router it connects in the normal 3-5 second timeframe but I would rather do it behind the firewall if that is possible.

Am I missing something? Any help would be great!

PPTP VPNs only require port 1723 and *protocol* 47 (not port 47). VPN passthrough typically indicates outbound VPNs and has no bearing on your ability to use the router for incoming VPNs.

I'd venture to say something isn't right with the router. Try doing an online port scan from GRC.COM and specify for it to probe port 1723. If it shows as stealthed, then your problem is with your router.

Ok, after some more fiddling I got port 1723 to be open (I have to do it through uPNP...)

I am still unable to connect to the VPN though - I have to be missing something still I assume

Ok, after some more fiddling I got port 1723 to be open (I have to do it through uPNP...)

I am still unable to connect to the VPN though - I have to be missing something still I assume

How are you testing connecting to your VPN? Are you inside of your network trying to connect to your external IP?

Correct,

I am behind this router connecting to my external IP of my network at home

To this day I have never opened port 1723 to do what I am trying to do, this is the first router that I have played with that did not allow this type of connectivity

You cannot reliably test your VPN that way. Some consumer routers do not "loopback" properly to allow such things to happen.

The only way to reliably test your VPN is to use someone elses internet connection and try to establish a VPN back to your system.

Back