VPN Newbie

cr9c1

Weaksauce
My google foo is sort of weak on this topic, I cant seem to find what I need.

I would really like to get a VPN setup here for work. I have a Linksys RV082 router with VPN capabilities.

However I will admit, I understand how a VPN works, but I have never configured one. Would I be better off going with a seperate VPN device, like a Sonicwall vpn device, or can I configure this router I have for VPN access? If so, is there a how to guide on what I need to do to make it possible, and what software would I use to connect from other machines?

Ugh, I can do most anything I need to, but I think this VPN stuff is a bit beyond me. That being said I am willing to learn.

The maximum amount of users will no doubt be around 10 or 15...tops.

Thanks for the link I will check it out.

If there are not alot of systems on your network. Hamachi might be a better and more cost efficient solution. If you have a huge # of clients, 25+ than VPN is not a bad option at all. Make sure you do research though and verify that it is going to do everything you need it to.

Network monitor may also be a good idea which is sold via # of seats. And this allows you complete access via workgroups to see the systems in it, there status and be able to watch the users (without permissions for this is a setup by admin program only).

I did look into Hamachi, and I am not opposed to using it, however eventually this VPN will be used for mobil data sharing (Law Enforcement) and will need to be permanent. I was thinking that a hardware based VPN would be the best bet.

Linksys/Cisco RV0 series routers will act as a VPN server for two types of VPN.
1 - PPTP VPN...but only up to a max of 5 users
2 - QuickVPN IPSec VPN..using their QuickVPN IPSec client you install on your remote users, can go up to 50x users I believe. You used to have to purchase additional licensing, but I believe they now do up to 50 for free included in recent firmware.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...td_adp.php?p_faqid=16579&p_created=1211990998

Linksys/Cisco RV0 series routers will act as a VPN server for two types of VPN.
1 - PPTP VPN...but only up to a max of 5 users
2 - QuickVPN IPSec VPN..using their QuickVPN IPSec client you install on your remote users, can go up to 50x users I believe. You used to have to purchase additional licensing, but I believe they now do up to 50 for free included in recent firmware.

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...td_adp.php?p_faqid=16579&p_created=1211990998

Awesome, I was hoping it was possible but I havent had the time to do a whole lot of research until now. Thats the info I was looking for.

I will go the IPsec route with the Linksys software, and make sure I have the updated firmware. Now, I have to figure out how to configure it to work correctly :eek: Should be a learning experience.

It will be an adventure for sure. I remember trying to setup my first VPN on a Sonic Wall TZ170. I think it took about 2-3 days to get it functional, and then a couple more to get it to function the way I wanted.

I will say that 1 day was spent trying to figure out the password because the person I replaced did not believe in documentation, and another day was spent getting SonicWall to transfer the device to us so we could actually use the VPN. (It was registered under our old business managers name...not the brightest crayon in the box).

It will be a learning experience, I would recommend writing everything down as you go, even if it is a mistake. I know that really helped me get everything organized, and helped get the VPN setup correctly.

Not looking forward to it as I have a ton of other projects to do, but this has since taken priority and I really have no choice but to make it happen.

Wish me luck! I have no clue where to start, haha.

Back