VPN is slow

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by IceDigger, May 5, 2019.

1. IceDigger

IceDigger [H]ardForum Junkie

I have a vpn going from my work to home network. Using the built in openvpn on my Asus RT-AC68U router.

I have a 150/150 connection at work and I have a 1000/1000 connection at home.

When I connect in to the work network I average around 4MB/s from moving files from my work server to home.

Attached is the config for the routers openvpn settings.

Any recommendations on the settings?
    screenshot.png

2. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

If you're moving files via SMB it's very latency sensitive. What's the latency to the server you are moving files to?

3. extide

extide 2[H]4U

4MB/sec is 40-50Mbit, that's about as good as you can expect to get from OpenVPN on the lil 800Mhz ARM cores in there. You can try to reduce the encryption (that's where the bottleneck is), but it's always going to suck.

For better performance move to a PC based router using something like pfsense and use a CPU that has AES-NI.

mwarps likes this.
  4. IceDigger

IceDigger [H]ardForum Junkie

Yea, I was thinking the cpu was the bottleneck.

mwarps likes this.
  5. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Have you checked your CPU load while doing file transfers?

6. EniGmA1987

EniGmA1987 Limp Gawd

Open VPN is single core, and the old ARM cores in these routers are not fast to begin with. So as other said it is probably the router speed as the #1 culprit. #2 culprit would be the windows file transfer will never really max out a connection across the internet either so you are losing some speed there too.

Using a 2.4GHz Kaby Lake CPU with hardware accelerated AES I am able to max out my connection speed of 75mb/s over VPN. I dont know how much higher it could go as my internet speed is already reached. So it is possible to get more speed than the 40~mb/s you have right now, you just need to have the right setup.

7. IndyJoe1977

IndyJoe1977 n00b

This is good info to have. I just tried to run NordVPN router based, and it knocked my 180Mb speed down to 15Mbps. I was beyond pissed. Cancelled that right quick. I have a spare Pentium-D based PC that I may throw PFSense on it. Thanks.

8. extide

extide 2[H]4U

Pentium D won't be much better.

9. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

I had a sophos box that was throttling me - atom based, I think. Swapped for a core2duo box with some RAM - MUCH better.

I have that same router. I put it and another one into AP duty for great WIFI!

10. EniGmA1987

EniGmA1987 Limp Gawd

If you run OpenVPN, you really want a more modern CPU with hardware accelerated AES built in. This will let the VPN run much faster on the CPU and will not be limiting you from your own processor, only the VPN server speed and extra hops at that point

11. IndyJoe1977

IndyJoe1977 n00b

Do you consider it's worth it, then, to buy/build a little 1U server with something only a generation or two old and use that?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  12. Joust

Joust 2[H]4U

Could probably be older than that. It's not a terribly difficult task for modern standards. Very inexpensive gear should.be able to do it.

13. IndyJoe1977

IndyJoe1977 n00b

Sorry for the wicked late reply. Found a Dell PowerEdge R410 that has procs in it that support AES. Costs a whopping $120, so may snag that, and play with it. Thanks for the info.

IceDigger likes this.