VPN for extended hotel stay?

extrafuzzyllama

Limp Gawd
hey guys,
i am staying at a hotel for a few months and will be using their wifi.
i want to stay secure while using my iPhone or MBP so i looked into the VPN option.
It appears the 2 options that require least maintenance are VPN service like Private Internet Access or setting up a VPN server on my Synology DS210+
Now my questions on this are:

-Is using L2TP/IPSec over OpenVPN is just fine? (i prefer not to have to setup a client.)
-will my speed using the Synology be slow? (i have verizon dsl 7mbps down 1mbps up at home)

i also read a post by fellow member and wanted some clarification on it.
Using some type of VPN service just means your traffic encrypted from your notebook to the VPN server.
What happens after that is still open. If you're ok with that, then one of the options above would work.

1mbps minus vpn and browsing upload overhead + anyone else using upload bandwidth at home while your away would be your fastest possible download speed using your home connection as a vpn source.
Real world more like 400kbs or less is more likely.
You are limited by your upload speed of the home connection.

When you vpn to your home and it goes out over your internet connection unless it is https it is unencrypted just like if you were browsing from home. The same with the vpn provider.

The advantage of using your own connection and hardware is that it is under your control.
A vpn provider could monitor your browsing and there is a potential for a man in the middle attack against https compromising your information.

rdp or vnc over vpn to a computer at home is a better idea.
Be aware that every windows vnc installer on the net is infested with crapware.
I am not talking about vnc getting a false positive which happens but the installer either with confusing options or just plain hiding it installing crapware.

Ooh, shiny, $10/year is appealing for a basic email server. Anyone actually bought a VPS from them? Just wondering about uptime/reliability and stuff like that.

root@vps2:~# uptime
10:27:52 up 33 days, 14:08, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I've had no issues with them. That's a Lowendbox.com special that I found, they have lots of specials there. Overall I've been very pleased. It's not the fastest in the world (averaging 40-50 Mbps through OpenVPN), but it's sufficient and a good value for a basic server.

Back