VPN Client Connection (Vista x64) Wired Working, Wireless Not Working (no resources)

TOOL1075

Gawd
When I connect a Vista x64 laptop via a wired connection to my home router, I am able to connect to a VPN with my VPN client, and all VPN resources are available.

When I try to do the same thing with the same laptop, with a wireless connection to my router, I can connect to the VPN with my VPN client, but no VPN resources are available (including internet access).

I have googled a lot... and I'm not sure why this is happening. There was even a microsoft knowledge base article on the subject, for which I downloaded the update, and when I tried to install the update it told me "this update does not apply to your computer." So, I'm guessing that update is not my problem.

Help?

What update did you do? What is the KB number?

Also, what kind of VPN client are you using? It would be a good idea to do an "ipconfig /all" on both wired and wireless connections to see what the difference is. If you have an option for "Allow LAN Access" to split tunnel, then you might want to give that a try.

thanks for the replies, guys.

I installed updated wireless network adapter drivers (Intel 5300) and it now works.

Perhaps the installation of the new drivers corrected one or both of those possible issues, or maybe it was just a driver problem.

It's my wife's laptop, and she needs to to connect to a VPN. Tried to use the Cisco VPN client she was given, but it doesn't support 64-bit. They don't give her the AnyConnect client, which does.

So, I downloaded the NCP Universal IPSec Client (trial version) and imported the Cisco .pcf file directly.

Since I don't want to pay $144 for the full version of that client, I'm thinking about using an open source client for her, or something else. I tried the free client by these guys: http://www.shrew.net/software and imported the Cisco .pcf file, and it didn't work....

Perhaps I was doing something wrong in the config....

Any recommendations as alternatives to the NCP client?

Do they have a web based VPN? We have it and it prompts for the download of the Any Connect client. I've been having everyone use it with more people using 64 bit OS's

I hate that Cisco doesn't support 64 bit OS's.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with any other VPN clients.

Good Luck.

Let me guess, Dell laptop with Linksys router?

If so, you have to play with QoS on the router, try turing on MMC in QoS, that does it sometime

Do they have a web based VPN? We have it and it prompts for the download of the Any Connect client. I've been having everyone use it with more people using 64 bit OS's

I hate that Cisco doesn't support 64 bit OS's.

Unfortunately, I don't have much experience with any other VPN clients.

Good Luck.

I think the NCP client has a student discount, so I may just get that for her, since it is working.

They don't have a web-based VPN. She's going to ask the IT department if they can give her the Anyconnect client, and if not, what other client they suggest. I told her that if they tell her to change her OS to 32-bit, she should tell them to fuck off.

Let me guess, Dell laptop with Linksys router?

If so, you have to play with QoS on the router, try turing on MMC in QoS, that does it sometime

Nope, Thinkpad with Linksys router using DD-WRT firmware. Like I said though, it's working now.

Back