vpn and tunnel/server speeds

UndeadNinjaZ

Limp Gawd
How does vpn affect connection speeds of the client and server computers?
For instance, I want to run a vpn connection between my laptop and desktop to share windows file and itunes music but my server computer has pretty low upload speeds. Therefore if I vpn to the server, would that mean that all of the laptop's connections would be tunnelled through the server and thus, slow the overall connection down?
Also, how would vpn affect bittorrenting?
I'm pretty new to the whole vpn and subnet thing so any help is greatly appreciated.

A VPN will never be faster than the weakest part of the connection. "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link". If your is on a slow upload connection...a VPN will not increase performance. It'll actually be a little slower than a direct connection..due to overhead of the VPN. Yes it will eat into the bandwidth of any connection just like other traffic would.

Depends on how the routing table is set up. The ideal way it to have whatever your "local" network is have a different (damn it i know this term) ... subnet... than the remote location (ie yours uses 192.168.*.*, while remote uses 10.10.*.*) some applications like azureus (I think) will let you bind to a specific IP, thus forcing ti to use the vpn connection. I am probably wrong about this, as I only days ago set up my first vpn.

YeOldeStonecat said:
A VPN will never be faster than the weakest part of the connection. "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link". If your is on a slow upload connection...a VPN will not increase performance. It'll actually be a little slower than a direct connection..due to overhead of the VPN. Yes it will eat into the bandwidth of any connection just like other traffic would.

so does that means that my laptop will only be able to download as fast as my server can upload when it's connected by vpn?

If the traffic is routed through that connection, yes, and actually slower, due to additional overhead with the vpn tunnel.

Back