Voodoo 1 3Dfx Pass thru Cable

Surprised that sold so quick, everyone I know with a voodoo seems to already one or more.

Reactions: erek
like this
These would be easy to replicate. They are nothing but a short VGA male to VGA female cable extender.

Other than being really short, there's nothing special about them. You can interchange the ones that came with the Voodoo 2 with the Voodoo 1. They are basically a VGA cable extender, only chopped down to minimize the noise in the signal.

20 bucks seems like a lot for a short cable, but given VGA is a dead format, it's not an outrageous amount.

I recall putting ferrite cores around mine back in the day. The passthrough signal was so bad though. You're better off with a KVM switch these days.

These would be easy to replicate. They are nothing but a short VGA male to VGA female cable extender.

Other than being really short, there's nothing special about them. You can interchange the ones that came with the Voodoo 2 with the Voodoo 1. They are basically a VGA cable extender, only chopped down to minimize the noise in the signal.

20 bucks seems like a lot for a short cable, but given VGA is a dead format, it's not an outrageous amount.

I recall putting ferrite cores around mine back in the day. The passthrough signal was so bad though. You're better off with a KVM switch these days.
yup. you can get a 1.5' vga extender on amazon for $5.

If you don't want to deal with the poor passthrough signal, you can always just use a second monitor for the V1/V2 card. Then it will just activate that monitor when the 3dfx card is in use.

A digital KVM would work as well... but the signal still might not be as good as just hooking straight up to a monitor.

If you don't want to deal with the poor passthrough signal, you can always just use a second monitor for the V1/V2 card. Then it will just activate that monitor when the 3dfx card is in use.

A digital KVM would work as well... but the signal still might not be as good as just hooking straight up to a monitor.

Well sure, ok, but back in the voodoo 1 late 90's era even 15" CRT monitors weren't cheap, $200+. So nobody had multiples except rich people and software devs. Nowadays monitors fall off trees. And back then KVMs were STUPID expensive for good ones, more than the cost of a 2nd monitor. I remember when Belkin was the king back then, those 4 port KVMs we used at work were like $500. In the 90's I had a shitty manual A/B switch for monitors and that wasn't even that cheap.. and it sucked. Introduced tons of noise, but you didn't have a lot of options back then and got used to it.

I was fortunate enough back in the late 90s to afford a nice CRT that had both BNC and VGA inputs. Then I could press a button on the front of the monitor to toggle between either input source (one for 2D the other for 3D).

The dilemma with this was the BNC signal quality, thus picture quality, was superior to the VGA. So I could either have nice 2D or nice 3D, but not both (at least not without swapping the BNC cable everytime I wanted to game).

Yeah, KVMs back then were stupidly expensive. Regardless, any decent KVM is going to be superior to using the 3dfx passthrough.

Unless you had a Canopus card, which used a mini-DIN to VGA. Fortunately I have one with my Canopus Pure3D II. The Canopus Pure3D (Voodoo1) also used the Mini-DIN connector:

v1_pure_3d.jpg

Back