• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Vonage, My Router, and Me....

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
2FA
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
21,938
I've got a Linksys WRT54G, and I just signed up for Vonage. They're sending me a Linksys RTP300 for the phone lines, and I was wondering what the best method for hooking them together would be. This is what I'm thinking:

Modem to WRT54G, computers and RTP300 plugged into the 4 ethernet ports.

Would this be best, or should I use the uplink port for the RTP300? Either way, do you know if I'll have to do any forwarding if the vonage router is behind the 54G?

I'm on a 15/4 connection, so I'm not going to be using bandwidth saver or anything.

 
Connect it like so:

Internet---WRT54G---PCs / RTP300

Don't connect anything to the RTP 300. Connect the RTP300 to the WRT54G using the WAN port on the RTP300. The RTP300 sucks as a router and Vonage frequently pushes out new firmware to the device which can cause it to reload when you aren't expecting it. Use it to connect your phones and thats it.
 
Arch said:
Connect it like so:

Internet---WRT54G---PCs / RTP300

Don't connect anything to the RTP 300. Connect the RTP300 to the WRT54G using the WAN port on the RTP300. The RTP300 sucks as a router and Vonage frequently pushes out new firmware to the device which can cause it to reload when you aren't expecting it. Use it to connect your phones and thats it.

Cool, that was my plan. I really don't want my PC's passing through the 300.

 
I have the same routers, the WRT54G and the RTP300. I was going to use the RTP300 until I realized that Vonage can get into the box and jack it up all they want without your knowing. After that I've designated it to be only the voice connection.

Also, you don't need to forward anything on the WRT54G to get it working. It should be fine.
 
You also want to investigate QOS.. I used to have issues untill I started running QOS.. I thunk the latest version of the linksys firmware has it.. If it doesent and you do NOT have a V5 router then look up dd-wrt.
 
Back
Top