volume keeps getting reduced in Win 10

misterbobby

2[H]4U
I can be watching youtube or hbonow or even playing a game and occasionally my volume will get reduced a little for no reason. I thought I was losing my mind the first few times it happened but it seems to be happening more often now and it is pretty irritating. This never occurred before Win 10 so I can only assume its related.

I've seen this question being asked like three times and so far no follow-up after my suggestion which is to mute all your inputs (microphones, 'mix' devices etc).

That "feature" has been there at least since Windows 7.

mmsys.cpl -> Communications tab

Select 'Do nothing.'

There is definitely a driver difference for some reason in Windows 10. Look for an update. My HP had weaker volume than expected until the recent update. It was originally produced for Windows 8.1 although Windows 10 came preinstalled, so I'm guessing there was just enough change to cause the issue when Windows 10 was installed. It's good now.

Right click volume > playback devices > properties > enhancements > disable all

Just check it just in case! I have the same problem actually, not so much youtube videos but when I close one game then open another. Witcher 3 is a big one that is real quiet. Some games are quiet in the menu but not the main game, etc.

I think I have tried every suggestion but it is still doing it and needless to say I am beyond fed up with this shit.

this is something new.
I have Windows 7 and it started happening last week, noticed it while watching youtube videos
Volume will drop down maybe 20% but if you click on the video scroll bar and basically move the video back it will be back at the previous audio level.
I use Firefox for browsing.

this is something new.
I have Windows 7 and it started happening last week, noticed it while watching youtube videos
Volume will drop down maybe 20% but if you click on the video scroll bar and basically move the video back it will be back at the previous audio level.
I use Firefox for browsing.
Yeah that is exactly whats happening watching Youtube and HBOnow in Chrome for me. I thought it happened a few times while playing games though but maybe I was just being paranoid.

Do you have ad block running in your browser? It could be something new with youtube and the ad block, but not sure why it would do it in HBOnow as well unless that services injects ads as well.

It could have been something in the latest windows update as well, as I believe there was a windows patch last week.

Also, just pausing and un-pausing the video will bring the level back up as well.

So are you sure it's also for games since sites like YouTube you can never trust since they have already added a volume limiter function that limits all videos to a particular max level and I wouldn't be suprised if they sneak in additional functions in future.

Sorry for repeating myself, but have you perhaps tried muting all recording devices? Need assistance in doing so?

Sounds like you'd benefit from a sound card with a 'normalizer' feature. I had it even in the SB Live and Audigy days. It equalizes all sources.
It's exactly the thing that defeats this stupid volume blaring during ads.

Back