Volume does not contain a recognized file system

dar124

[H]ard|Gawd
So I've been having some problems with my desktop PC (in my signature). I had a problem with it randomly shutting down about a month ago. I ended up getting a new PSU and that seemed to correct that issue. But the CPU's would run around 60-70% at idle, also had some lag when doing multiple tasks, which I wouldn't think would happen with a dual CPU workstation. And most recently the PC wont power on. So long story short, I had enough tinkering with it and explaining to the wife why it didn't work as smooth as it should. So I figured I'd just switch out that desktop and image a Lenovo Thinkcentre m93p tower desktop that I had sitting around. I figured it's a newer PC, it wasn't pieced together like the HP workstation, etc. So I took my SSD and 2nd drive into work took some screen shots of the files, etc on each drive. I took the day off of work today to switch out the drives and start a reimage.

This morning I was able to copy what I needed from the SSD, but the 2nd drive gives me the "Volume does not contain a recognized file system, format the drive" error. From what I've googled, something must have happened to the secondary drive when I disconnected it from my external cables at work. I'm currently running a Test Disk scan on the drive - TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

But figured I'd also check here to see if there are any other options if that doesn't give me any results. Thanks in advance.

Quick update ... Test Disk seemed to find files, but I wasn't able to transfer them anywhere successfully. Tried another program and the "trial" would only let me view the files it found. So I'm on to "ReclaiMe" - RAW File System

It seems to be working better. It's only on 16%, but it's finding files and it'll let me copy them over as it's scanning. Gonna let it finish and then do the copying.

I'll report back.

Ahhhh, so the ReclaiMe program finished. And again the free version wanted me to purchase to be able to do more than view the files.

There has to be a free option out there somewhere to do this???

Are you talking about PATA drives here? This might have some kind of diskmanager controlled partition table so you have to boot off the original PC to gain access to the files. I think if you have the drive formated on the new pc and then move the drive over, copying files to it would show up on the new PC. Same problem with USB drive boards as well as some of them also do this diskmanager thing which is built in. Very big problem if the board goes bad especially with WDC drives as the USB bridge baord is mated to the particular drive as well.

Try piriform recuva... its free..

Nah it's a 500GB WD Black SATA drive. I was able to access the files on the drive a couple of days ago at work to take screen shots of the files / folders to have as a reference when I reimage my new PC. Something must have happened when removing / disconnecting the drive from the cables.

Today I brought the drive back in to work and tried it again with the hopes that it would work on my work PC or with the USB / SATA adapter here at work. But no luck, same error.

Recuva was able to see the disk, but when I click on it to scan. I get the error that the volume does not contain a recognized file system.

So I tried another program (forget which one) and again it found the files, but would only let me transfer 4 folders at a time with the "free" version. That would have literally taken me weeks to get all the folders transferred over. Scan the disk for 2-3 hours, transfer 4 folders, scan the disk for 2-3 hours, transfer 4 folders ...

The data wasn't really that important, but just a hassle to come across / download again, etc. So I tried one more thing. I formatted the drive and then used Recuva to scan it. It found 15,000 +/- files!!! So I sorted thru those and copied a bunch. Some were duplicates and some were files that were previously deleted, but I was able to get a decent amount of the data back.

Glad that messing around is done!!! The new system is being imaged as I type!!!

The bigger question would be are the files intact. You have to check to see if they were corrupted in case the LBA addressing was messed up somehow. Rcuva wont fix that mess.

Hmm, ok I'll check the files out prior to transferring them over to my new system. Which will hopefully be next week.

Back