Volume Controller for Headphones?

mfedora

n00b
Joined
Jul 7, 2007
Messages
39
Hi guys,

Right now my PC is speakerless, and i'm using headphones/earbuds to connect directly to the audio-out jack of my x-fi sound card. It works well, and I can control the volume from the software (or Windows volume control), but I'm wondering if there is some sort of external pod, connector or controller that will allow me to control the volume externally?

Something akin to the Griffin Powermate:

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184795809&sr=1-1

But without all the buggy XP performance. Or alternatively, some device that will connect to my sound card, sit on my desk, and allow me to plug my headphones/earbuds into it and control the volume from there. Sort of like a middle man b/w my headphones and the soundcard. Any ideas?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
quite a few keyboards have a volume control on them. It actually works very well and i never had it lag, even during a game.
 
You could get the X-Fi front i/o panel, if it's compatible with your card. Although, it's very expensive if it's just going to be used as an volume controller.
 
But without all the buggy XP performance. Or alternatively, some device that will connect to my sound card, sit on my desk, and allow me to plug my headphones/earbuds into it and control the volume from there. Sort of like a middle man b/w my headphones and the soundcard. Any ideas?

They call those Headphone amplifiers. ;)



http://headwize.com/projects/index.htm
 
I use a Griffin Powermate. Here's a pic of it on my old rig. It works great.. you can program it to do a lot of different things.. but all I use it for is the volume control in windows. :p

don't use it anymore since I got amps from MisterX

P1010067.jpg
 
Off-topic, but that's a rather interesting keyboard, mag. Brand/model?
 
Ditch those inferior volume controllers. I created a script that lets me adjust volume, bass, and treble with the mouse scroll-wheel. I can even mute with it. :D
 
Thank you for those suggestion, guys. I've posted this question in several other forums and couldn't get an answer. I used to use a Klipsch Promedia (SW Edition) setup, and the headphone jack on the right hand satellite was uber-convenient for me.

They call those Headphone amplifiers.

Ah! Very cool. I had a strong hunch there was something out there to fit the bill. It looks like people can get pretty creative with these things:

amp280ni5.jpg


So you plug this into your pc via a usb adapter, or just a regular 3.5mm connector? I'm totally new to this sort of thing. Is this the same thing as the Dr. Bott Boostaroo?

I use a Griffin Powermate. Here's a pic of it on my old rig. It works great.. you can program it to do a lot of different things.. but all I use it for is the volume control in windows.


I have to admit, it does look darn cool no? I had the silver version back in '04. Unfortunately it sent my PC into all sorts of quandries, refusing to be recognized sometimes, not showing up as connected in others...just a whole bunch of oddities. It's great that yours works well though. Did Griffin ever update the software for it?

You could get the X-Fi front i/o panel, if it's compatible with your card. Although, it's very expensive if it's just going to be used as an volume controller.

After I posted, I started to think along those lines as well, but since I just want (in essence) volume control, I think it might be a bit much.

quite a few keyboards have a volume control on them. It actually works very well and i never had it lag, even during a game.

Perhaps that would be the easiest and most cost effective way. I'm using an MS natural keyboard, which unfortunately doesn't have mann (if at all) extra buttons for email, media and the like. Could I map two keys to my volume control? Say the + and - on my numeric pad?

Edit: Just saw r-486's post above. That's a good idea too - maybe more elegant than mapping the keys?
 
Ditch those inferior volume controllers. I created a script that lets me adjust volume, bass, and treble with the mouse scroll-wheel. I can even mute with it. :D

how? i would like to make a script to change my LCD brightness with g15 macro keys.
 
how? i would like to make a script to change my LCD brightness with g15 macro keys.

I don't have the G15 keyboard, but I definitely think it's possible. You should be able to use regular keys and the keyboard's macro keys to dim the brightness. Check out AutoHotKey.
 
Autohotkey looks promising - i'll give it a try.

Also, does anyone have a favorite headphone amp? I've been looking at them on Ebay and have seen a bewildering array ranging in prices.

Griffin Powermate is pretty inexpensive on Ebay now too - tempting, but i'm afraid to go back to all the bugginess.
 
If you can solder the Mini3 is going to be a killer little portable amp for less then $100

Here is the link---->
http://www.amb.org/audio/mini3/

And here is an example---->

mini-v3.jpg



(IIRC amb said the boards would be ready by the end of the week)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That sits in the middle of your audio stream..as a result it might screw it over
what headphones you using?

and i see a Shure e4 plugged in to that mini3
 
Indeed it may. It makes more sense to use digital volume control, and the only way that's really possible is with hotkeys or USB controllers.

Those little PowerMates (as well as other similar products) are actually pretty handy little things. If you do any audio or video editing, the entry price is completely inconsequential given the advantages.

Oh, and I don't imagine you'll have trouble finding someone who can assemble that amp for you for a fairly reasonable price, OP.
 
That sits in the middle of your audio stream..as a result it might screw it over

Really? In what way? (just curious). Right now i'm using the standard earbuds that came with my Ipod, so nothing terribly fancy.

I'm still tempted to try the Powermate again (some good prices on Egobay) but last time around it really didn't gel well with my PC. I'm not using the same PC now however, so I'll definitely keep that option open.
 
Well they use a iteration of that volume controller in the language lab (im taking spanish pero mi espanol es mucho sucko):p

if you think about it that thing sits there with a variable resistor and doesnt seem that its manufacutred with audio quality in mind as a result i dont think it will be too good with hi-fi gear.... if your using earbuds that should be fine
 
Oh i forgot to mention...theres the logitech NLQQ that is a rotate/dpad made for video editing...runs around 30$ could use that too
 
Oh i forgot to mention...theres the logitech NLQQ that is a rotate/dpad made for video editing...runs around 30$ could use that too

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check that one out.

BTW - another related question. Since my Ipod earbuds can't reach all the way to my sound card's audio-out jack, i'm using a regular 3.5mm extension cord. Are these things all created equal? I'm using one I purchased at office depot, and it seems to be working out pretty well.
 
theres thousands of options in interconnects...from your standard ratshack connector...up to 99.99% gold terminals w/ 99.99% silver as the cable...braided, cyro and teflon treated...skys the limit

though im pretty sure you wont need the latter with ibuds;)
 
And while you're at Radio Shack picking up that interconnect, you can spend $25 on a pair of Koss KSC75's and get an inline volume control with a healthy upgrade in audio quality...

Egad, iBuds.
 
Wow, amazing stuff. I had no idea the world of computer audio was so varied. Now that i've had time to go back and peruse some of the suggestions in this thread, i'm thinking that it might be a good idea to upgrade my ibuds (rock!;) ) to something a little bit better, along with purchasing a headphone amp and, probably sometime in the near future, a good 2.1 system with headphone out to complement my current rig.

What do you guys think of the Shure E2c's? I'm actually a recent earbud convert. For years I used a pair of Sony MDR-CD280's that were simply outstanding when it came to MP3's and game audio. One time, a friend of mine brought over a pair of Sennheiser HD580's, which I borrowed during a LAN match. I felt the Senn's were much heavier (probably due to higher quality construction and materials no doubt), but what was really odd was that with the same source (i.e. pc game audio) I really couldn't tell the differance b/w my consumer grade 'phones and the Sennheiser audiophile grade cans.

But, i'm learning more and more about audio these days, so if I ever decide to get headphones, I may just revisit the Sennheisers once more.
 
e2c's arent bad...for 25$ more you can get e4's used off head-fi ..dunno if theyre still selling
(sorry about your wallet as custom dictates)

e4's are nice and flat..little bottom end shy in my opinion but i like my bass with in the chest thump

sennies need a good source and a good amp (as most hi-fi headphones) driving it from a x-fi isnt enough for sound quality
 
Back
Top