Voltages too low?

gamz247

Gawd
I bought an Antec TruePower 330W PSU for a system I'm putting together that's intended to just run F@H all day long. It's being used on...

MSI K7N2 Delta2-LSR
Sempron 2400+ with stock HSF
1GB Kingston HyperX PC2700
Radeon 9600XT
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA HDD

I installed MSI's Core Center application, and the approximate voltages I'm getting, while idle, are

3.14V on 3.3V
4.95V on 5V
11.67V on 12V

Box for the PSU says "Voltage feedback and tighter +/- 3% regulation". 3.14V is almost 5% below normal, and 11.67V is almost 3% below. Is this kind of difference something I should think about exchanging the PSU for?

Software is a really bad way to read voltages. To be sure you will need a voltmeter and take the actual readings.

If you get a copy of motherboard monitor (MBM) and you have a voltmeter you can calibrate MBM to be pretty close.

BillR said:
If you get a copy of motherboard monitor (MBM) and you have a voltmeter you can calibrate MBM to be pretty close.
How do I do that? I've been meaning to do so for a while.

kalpha said:
How does one read the voltages with a multimedia anyways?

Take extra drive leads and stick a probe in the 12V and ground and 5V and ground to get your 12V And 5V readings. You're probably not using the AUX connector (looks like half of an AT connector,) so you can stick a probe in the orange wire for 3.3V.

All of the grounds go to the same place, so you don't have to move your black probe around if you don't want to.

Back