• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Voltage Fluctuations...1.63-1.71

govtcheez

Gawd
Joined
Jul 11, 2002
Messages
660
Here is what I'm running:
A64 Newcastle 3200+ running 240X10 at 1.5x110% in bios (1.63V) Temps are 40degrees idle, 63degrees load
1GB 512MB X 2 PC4000 Geil Ultra
DFI UT Lanparty nf3-250gb
36GB Raptor + 80GB WE SE
520W OCZ PowerStream


...now I'm ROCK SOLID stable at this Core Voltage, and nothing less. If I try anythine less, it reboots, or errors out in Prime95, but at the current settings, I can run Prime95 Priority 10 Torture Test, 3DMarks, Memtest for 48+ hours with no problems.

...the problem that I have is the Core Voltage fluctuates from 1.63V idle, to 1.71V on load! Is this normal? I know that the OCZ PowerStream iis considered one of the most stable PSU's out there...but I can't remember if I had such fluctuations with my 350W Antec, or 450W TTGI/SuperFlower. Should I be worried? Do I need to RMA the PSU? Should I mess with the adjustable settings on the back of the PSU?

...I'm using CPU-Z, and SpeedFan to get the voltage readings (which gives me the same readings)...is there any other program that I should try?


Thanks.
 
Software readings = inaccurate.

If they were really that bad, you would already have dead hardware.
 
L0s7 4 Lyf3 said:
Software readings = inaccurate.

If they were really that bad, you would already have dead hardware.


you're probably right. I also noticed that my +12v readings were a little low, so I adjusted the adjustable rails on the back of the PSU (Love this feature!), and cranked up the dials a bit. It was 11.65, and is now 12.10. I also did the same for the +3.3, and +5, and they moved up from 3.23 to 3.28, and 4.89 to 5.00 respecively. I noticed that after tweaking these settings, the Vcore also stabalized, and is only moving from 1.65 yo 1.69 now. I guess I can live with that.
 
If you set your 12v baseline to 12.10 with a voltmeter your not leaving much safety room if something funky happens. Even if you factor in a 5% allowance you need to factor in a theoretical response time for the circuits to react.

CPUS cost too much to take that chance; I’d be inclined to back that down just a tad.

Just a thought
 
Back
Top