volt modding fans

DanSan

Limp Gawd
does anyone have a tutorial on how to do this correctly? Im going to be buying some yate loon 120mm and i want to bring em down to 7v just dont a single clue how to do it

You connect the fans between the PSU yellow wire (12 volts) and red wire (5 volts). The difference is 7 volts.

yea, my psu has silver wires instead of color or even sleeved so dik how to tell as well, cause my 120 fans are loud XD

If you look at the power wires going to your fan from the molex connector, you'll notice that one of the wires leads to one side of the molex connector and the other is connected to one of the two inside contacts. The one on the outside is currently hooked up to 12V, and we want to leave it that way. The one on the inside is currently hooked up to GND, and you want to hook it to 5V. 5V happens to be on the wire that is on the opposite side from the 12V wire. Maybe a picture will help:
Code:
         _______
12V-----|       |
GND-----|molex  |
GND-----|       |
5V------|_______|
The wires are currently hooked up to the top two, probably. You want to swap the wire that's connected with a ground wire with the 5V one.

Does that make sense?

Ok cool, thanks alot adidas. that helps ALOT!.

as for what he calls, pass throughs:

Molex7v.jpg

can i just pull out the 2 wires going into the molex connector and do this:

nissmo300-7v.jpg

And... make sure yellow from the PSU is connected to positive on the fan (usually red), and red from the PSU is connected to negative on the fan (usually black), or the fan will spin backwards.

Back