• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Volari priced at $200

TMCM

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 15, 2003
Messages
1,687
the V8 Duo is supposed to be priced at $200 or under. if they fix the drivers and it performs close to a 9800 pro would you consider getting it?
 
Any company that ups image quality whenever you take a screenshot will never get a penny of my money. There's optimzing a benchmark, then there's actually lying to your consumer. The Volari series is everything wrong with a videocard put into an overpriced package.

Loud, underpreforming, drivers made by 3 14 year olds with a vb compiler, expensive and overall terrible.
 
I am hoping that its just driver errors and not the hardware being crap that is crippiling XGI. I would really like to see a third graphics chip maker be succesful.
I dont see why "The Volari series is everything wrong with a videocard put into an overpriced package." The card isn't even available to the public yet. So even though I am disappointed by the reviews, I also realize that the hardware and drivers are not complete.
 
Originally posted by TMCM
I also realize that the hardware and drivers are not complete.

Why release it then? And the cards are readily available from Club3D for 300+, and if you think that's even remotely reasonable for hardware that can run 90% of the most popular games right now, i'll take whatever you're smoking.
 
Originally posted by TMCM
the V8 Duo is supposed to be priced at $200 or under. if they fix the drivers and it performs close to a 9800 pro would you consider getting it?

Where did you hear this? I'm not bashing, just curious. Its important because I do think that $200 range is a good target price for the card if I were to buy one, let's say.

Also, people aren't just going to shell out $450 on some new product that is unproven, especially regarding driver support and customer care (actually, they probably would).

However, I don't think they (XGI) are that smart, and that they may see more "opportunity" going for a bigger margin on their flagship card, but maybe not as expensive as the major players. Unless the source is credible, I see the V8 duo being more in the $300-350 range as a complete and fully working product.
 
I thougth XGI was gonna release 2 cards ... the dual GPU one and another with only 1 GPU :confused: ... maybe sub 200 card is the single GPU model ... hopefully they learn from their mistakes now and release a much better product for the comming generation ... more competition the better ...
 
Actually, there's 3, the V8, the V5, and the V3. The V3 is dx8.1 only, and not worth mentioning, the V5 is about identical in specs to a 5600U, and the V8 is the dual chippy.
 
^ ^ and those two "chippy"s are not gonna do crap until they get better drivers... I would be interested to see them succeed, and it is possible, but unlikely I feel...
 
Originally posted by WalteRr
Any company that ups image quality whenever you take a screenshot will never get a penny of my money. There's optimzing a benchmark, then there's actually lying to your consumer. The Volari series is everything wrong with a videocard put into an overpriced package.

Loud, underpreforming, drivers made by 3 14 year olds with a vb compiler, expensive and overall terrible.

wtf u can write drivers using vb?? :confused:
 
http://www.volarigamers.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=86

"On February 28 Chinese Lian Guan (Crown Electronic Technology), which facilities are mainly located in Shenzhen, Guangdong, is going to ship two new solutions:

Crown X Tornado Volari V8 Ultra 128MB DDR (MBGA chips) — 799 yuan ($97)
Crown X Tornado Volari V8 64MB DDR (TSOP chips) — 666 yuan ($80)

These should be followed in the near future by the following:

Crown X Tornado Volari Duo V8 Ultra 256MB DDR2 (MBGA chips) — 1599 yuan ($193)
Crown X Tornado Volari V8 128MB DDR (TSOP chips) — 733 yuan ($89)
Crown X Tornado Volari V3 Ultra 128MB DDR (TSOP chips) — 399 yuan ($48)

You have to admit that these $193 set by Chinese company for Volari Duo V8 Ultra 256MB DDR2 are very different from the current sky-high price tags (set by Club3D). And the prices of single-GPU DX9 Volari V8 Ultra 128MB DDR and Volari V8 64MB DDR cards are even more bright."


If they are able to get the V8 Duo to perform anywhere near a 9800 pro for under $200 then that would really put pressure on ATI and Nvidia.

Now to all the people who seem to be hoping that XGI fail, Why is having a third graphics chip maker a bad thing if they can make chips nearly as good as top dog, yet be significantly cheaper?

As far as them being released now, I have no idea why they would do that other than to have guinie pigs.
 
Originally posted by WalteRr
Any company that ups image quality whenever you take a screenshot will never get a penny of my money. There's optimzing a benchmark, then there's actually lying to your consumer. The Volari series is everything wrong with a videocard put into an overpriced package.

Loud, underpreforming, drivers made by 3 14 year olds with a vb compiler, expensive and overall terrible.

Thats just bollocks about the image quality. I have a 9100 and whenever I take a screenshot guess what happens? All the missing triangles disappear.
 
Originally posted by Timb0
Thats just bollocks about the image quality. I have a 9100 and whenever I take a screenshot guess what happens? All the missing triangles disappear.

...
 
Originally posted by Timb0
Thats just bollocks about the image quality. I have a 9100 and whenever I take a screenshot guess what happens? All the missing triangles disappear.

Um. If you have missing triangles, you have issues. That is not even related.

What we're discussing is how XGI made it so that their drivers make the graphics extremely crappy for performance, but when you snap a screenshot (say, for a review), it quickly goes fullblast on it and renders that screenshot into a pretty picture. A picture the end consumer never gets to see while playing.
 
Unless the Volari's drivers get the card to where it is a shelf-worthy product, it's not worth the money that was used to build it with.
 
Originally posted by Spidey329
Um. If you have missing triangles, you have issues. That is not even related.

What we're discussing is how XGI made it so that their drivers make the graphics extremely crappy for performance, but when you snap a screenshot (say, for a review), it quickly goes fullblast on it and renders that screenshot into a pretty picture. A picture the end consumer never gets to see while playing.

It is related, because a screenshot is obviously not the same as what is being output to your monitor. I doubt it is even possible for them to 'detect' when a screenshot is being taken and to quickly switch the settings to provide a higher quality picture. It's much more likely that the reviewers are just being stupid. You believe them when they can't by their own admission provide any evidence.
 
why not stick 4 GPU's on there and call it a voodoo 6000?

thore
 
I imagine if they are able to fix the drivers and get the card performing right, that OCP will get a sample to review.

I wonder what Brent think about the whole thing.
 
Now to all the people who seem to be hoping that XGI fail, Why is having a third graphics chip maker a bad thing if they can make chips nearly as good as top dog, yet be significantly cheaper?

I don't see anyone hoping XGI will fail.
I just see people who've read or heard of the European and Russian reviews of the (shipping) V8 DUO product and realize it's currently a piece of crap with horrible performance in the games that it actually runs.

XGI is Xabre Graphics, remember? Ever use a Xabre? An SIS 305?
There's a reason SIS was not known for the quality of their graphics solutions. And buying Trident and changing their name won't change that reputation unless they can ship products that don't suck.

The current DUO product appears to suck for $300 or for $200 or for $150, and to suck badly when it actually works. The drivers engage in texture detail reduction to gain frames per second, which is a big no-no in my book. When the IQ gets equalized to reference output, performance is even worse.

As much as I can hope that XGI will produce a card with the performance of a 9800XT that comes free in every box of Cracker Jacks, hoping that won't make their current product better.
They need serious driver work to get their card to even run most popular games, and they needed to have had it done six months ago.

If you want to hope, hope for the Deltachrome driver team or that someone picks up the PVR5 design.
 
Their cards look great for specs and would be neat to see the two GPU's work togather, but untill there are decent drivers that allow companies and sites like HardOCP to review them they are wasting their money.
 
All it comes down to is this ... XGI's Volari V8 looks great on paper.. shit, looks like it can hang with the 9800pro, but on benchmarks it blows donkey, and peforms like a 5200nu. XGI has said that its a driver problem.. and thats really all anyone knows at this point. I do hope they can fix it, stiff competition on the vcard market will produce better cards .. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what XGI can do.
 
Back
Top