VOIP through PC to the FIOS connection.

darwin

Weaksauce
I'm going to kill this damn thing. Tomatovine and this whole ordeal have made me so angry that I actually stopped trying for a few weeks because it made me so angry.

I have a FIOS internet connection that works great and have tried that "test your VOIP" site and it comes back fine. There is plenty of bandwidth.

I have the unit hooked into my computer via a crossover cable, and then through the Internet Connection Sharing wizard in XP, I have set the wired connection to share through the wireless-- which is my FIOS.

If I pick up the phone, I get dial tone no problem, but the problem light is blinking and when I dial a number it goes to busy signal after about 10 second of silence.

Any ideas? Sometimes after the wired connection is enabled through network connections in control panel (the VOIP) my wireless connection stops working. Seems like its an IP conflict? I don't know. Been trying to get this to work for a long time now and still nothing.

The provider is Tomatovine.

The unit they provided is a HandyTone 486.

ANY help is very much appreciated.

Just noticed...

If I pick up the phone, the light on the unit goes from blinking red to a solid green. I get a dial tone.

If I make a call, like I said, I get the dial tone, it'll dial out, and I get like 10-15 seconds of nothing and then a busy signal.

Can you connect it via a wired connection directly to FIOS? Does it work then?

nessus said:
Can you connect it via a wired connection directly to FIOS? Does it work then?
No access to the router. Rent an apartment above the garage and it's not my house. This should be working in its current config.

darwin said:
No access to the router. Rent an apartment above the garage and it's not my house. This should be working in its current config.
Not quite. Took a bit of configuration on my part...you gotta make sure VoIP has absolute priority over EVERYTHING when it's active, otherwise the other party won't be able to hear you at all (might not be a problem on a faster FIOS line, but it's trouble for cable). Opening the SIP ports, etc (UDP) might help somewhat as well.

movax said:
Not quite. Took a bit of configuration on my part...you gotta make sure VoIP has absolute priority over EVERYTHING when it's active, otherwise the other party won't be able to hear you at all (might not be a problem on a faster FIOS line, but it's trouble for cable). Opening the SIP ports, etc (UDP) might help somewhat as well.
I cant find the answer to this anywhere and Tomatovine themselves are incompetant to do ANYTHING like answering their customer service phone lines :rolleyes:

What is the port that it uses? I'm not very good with this aspect of networking...

darwin said:
I have the unit hooked into my computer via a crossover cable, and then through the Internet Connection Sharing wizard in XP, I have set the wired connection to share through the wireless-- which is my FIOS.

Try bridging the connections instead of ICS.

Bridging makes the connection dissapear. They bridge sucessfully, but then the internet connection goes down.

I had a similar problem with my sunrocket service.

After doing some research at various places I found my problem.

My issue was that I was trying to put the voip box behind my router instead of in front. Seems like your trying to make your computer into a mini router so you can use the voip behind the computer instead of in front.

Have you tried going into the VOIP box itself and adjusting the settings?

Google gave me http://192.168.2.1 as the default box IP and admin as the default password.

See if there is something in there that may help.

Back