VOIP sip registration issues

Long time reader, now I need a little help.

I've ditched pots for a voip service with VOIP.MS and a linksys ata. My only problem is sometimes the SIP registration fails randomly. I find this happens a lot when using port 5060, I find when i use a different port, the registration is much more reliable and does not randomly drop out.

I wonder if my internet provider (DSL) is sometimes blocking the main voip port (5060) because I dropped their landline phone service. Seems like a long shot to me ...

any thoughts? what test can I do to see if they are potentially blocking that port on my account?

What router are you using in front of the ATA? If it has SIP ALG try disabling that.

Using an old Dlink DIR-655... I know... I used to use monowall then pfsense, but I just haven't had the time (uni) to set it up without my roommates getting mad. I was throttling their downloads and games hahaha.

the d'link has "APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY (ALG) CONFIGURATION" for SIP connections so I'll go ahead and disable that and see how that goes. I don't know much about ALG so I'll do some reading tomorrow.

Thx for the fast reply.

Back