VoiP Phone Question

melomania

Limp Gawd
Hello All,

I have a Cisco 7940G phone that I'd like to use at home for testing. I want everything in terms of the PBX done in the cloud. Very basic - calling in and out from my home desk. Free is best if possible, otherwise I'll end up spending a few bucks a month.

Do you recommend any service providers for this? I personally don't know much about VoiP and SIP trunks.

Just for General VOIP, as long as your home internet provider is stable, with decent latency and low jitter for the most part you'll be fine. Run a voip test HERE

The older Cisco phones are more of a pain for tweak for a starter device as you either have to configure them via the keypad and screen on the phone, telnet or have them TFTP a config file. Before anything else, verify that your device has a SIP firmware on it. If it's not then this blog post will show you the legit way of conversion.

HERE is a good place to start with on configuring SIP connections.

If you have a home server, look at FreePBX as a VM (or setup a test system on Virtualbox). There's your free software. For home, I use Axvoice as my SIP provider. I don't get many calls, and I make most calls on my cell phone, so I only pay $9/month for service. FreePBX has a built-in Endpoint Manager, so it should be able to setup a TFTP for your phone, then it will reconfigure the phone for your PBX.

If you decide on Axvoice over others, let me know and I will help you get the SIP Tunnel and Call Inbound/Outbound Routing configured. I had to do some research to get mine stable with the correct settings.

Back