VOIP hardware suggestions?

Berg0

[H]ard|Gawd
Presently using a hosted VOIP PBX for company telecoms needs, but they're dropping the ball pretty bad lately, so looking at potentially pulling it back in house.

I've already got around 60 Cisco SPA 504g's w/ SIP firmware, and a few Lifesize teleconferencing systems (H.323), and some polycom IP phones (SIP), as well as sufficient switches, as we're already 100% VOIP. I've got 3 branch offices (two in different states, and our development center/ data center in canada) as well as a dozen or so remote workers that telecomute to do mainly data entry and customer support.
I was thinking of getting something like a Cisco UC560 w/ 1 or 2 PRI's in my datacenter (i don't think i need mroe than 23 lines simultaniously, but might be close, but 47 is overkill) , and have the remote employees and branch offices route VOIP traffic over VPN back to the datacenter. I've got 100Mb EDI here, and bonded T1's (3Mb) at one of the branch offices, and a 5Mb EDI at the other, all offics have HA clusters of Juniper SRX firewalls at the edge.

would also like to look into shoretel, but don't know much about it.

suggestions?

Presently using a hosted VOIP PBX for company telecoms needs, but they're dropping the ball pretty bad lately, so looking at potentially pulling it back in house.

I've already got around 60 Cisco SPA 504g's w/ SIP firmware, and a few Lifesize teleconferencing systems (H.323), and some polycom IP phones (SIP), as well as sufficient switches, as we're already 100% VOIP. I've got 3 branch offices (two in different states, and our development center/ data center in canada) as well as a dozen or so remote workers that telecomute to do mainly data entry and customer support.
I was thinking of getting something like a Cisco UC560 w/ 1 or 2 PRI's in my datacenter (i don't think i need mroe than 23 lines simultaniously, but might be close, but 47 is overkill) , and have the remote employees and branch offices route VOIP traffic over VPN back to the datacenter. I've got 100Mb EDI here, and bonded T1's (3Mb) at one of the branch offices, and a 5Mb EDI at the other, all offics have HA clusters of Juniper SRX firewalls at the edge.

would also like to look into shoretel, but don't know much about it.

suggestions?

are you looking to build your own or buy a product ?

I can't say enough good things about switchvox ( the asterisk appliance from digium ).

Give them a look.

Thought about getting a sip trunk and not worrying about the pri? we are looking at moving away from our pri and getting sip trunks from http://www.iristel.ca/. Its less hardware you have to deal with and can give you better fail-over/HA options. if you are an MS shop, Microsoft lync might be something worth looking into as well, but Lync needs a TCP sip trunk, not a udp sip trunk provided by most companies. That easily worked around with asterisk box doing media conversion.(another point of failure I know, but you can HA that shit)

not looking to roll my own, want to buy something with support. I'm leaning towards something backed with a POTS (PRI) but I'll have a look at all the options.

switchvox looks neat. Thought about doing a SIP trunk with a better provider, but I'm not a huge fan of our current primary ISP either, so we'll see I guess.

Back