Voice Activated Power Switch

Phoshious

Weaksauce
Hey, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum...it looked right, though. ;)

Anyways. Would it be possible to use a:

Voice Activated mechanism deal,

A clap-activated thing,

Or a touch pad to power on my computer? (Just like the momentary power switch...)

I think it'd work, but the only thing that I'm wondering about is...where it would get the power when the computer is off. I was thinking perhaps Wake-On-LAN, but that was just a thought.

So, if any crazy electronic guys can help me figure out a way to do it, that'd rock.

your mobo always has power going to it, you'd just have to replace the switch that currently turns it on, with a device that does whatever you want. (the switch that currently turns on your comp, obviously has power on it...)

not sure of the specifics of how the power going to the switch works, but can't be too complicated. only real problems you'd run into if you replaced the switch is rebooting.

you'd have to tell us specifically what you have and what you wanna do for us to tell you more on how to do it.

Hmm, interesting. How could I find out how much power the power switch has? I didn't think it had power, but now that you mention it...I bet it does.

Voice activated would be the coolest. I believe there are some inexpensive relatively simple voice recognition chips on the market that could be utilized.

Voice activated would be the coolest. I believe there are some inexpensive relatively simple voice recognition chips on the market that could be utilized.

I was looking at some kits that you build, and you can get one that holds something like 15 'words', and so when you say like "Power On" it'd come on, "Power Off" it'd go off, etc. Or at least, from my understanding, that's what you could do.

It was cheap, too. $11, I believe it was.

Similar - but the one I was looking at had pre-defined words that would make it do it's stuff. Not just any words/talk turns it on. Know what I mean?

Originally posted by Phoshious
I was looking at some kits that you build, and you can get one that holds something like 15 'words', and so when you say like "Power On" it'd come on, "Power Off" it'd go off, etc. Or at least, from my understanding, that's what you could do.

It was cheap, too. $11, I believe it was.

Yeah that's exactly what i was thinking. I like that idea and the chicks would be all over that! :D

You could make your optical drives open too, etc..

<err makes that 'runs off TO buy one..' lol >

Back