• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

VNC to mac from pc?

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
9,410
ive already asked this in the networking forum, but this is more of a mac specific question

is there a VNC client that supports inviting my PC at home to begin a VNC connection, so that i dont have to ask my IT department to forward ports to that mac?
 
4b5eN+EE said:
ive already asked this in the networking forum, but this is more of a mac specific question

is there a VNC client that supports inviting my PC at home to begin a VNC connection, so that i dont have to ask my IT department to forward ports to that mac?

I'm a bit confused on your question. What do you mean "invite"?

If you're wanting to know if you can control your Mac from your PC using VNC the answer is YES!!! I used to use VNC to connect to my Gig-E G4 tower from my XP machine to control it. As long as you can talk to the Mac, you should be able to VNC into it though you may have to change the port VNC communicates on to one that is not blocked in your company's firewall. My experiance, it was slow. The overall feel was very sluggish but that could have been because my old Gig-e was only a 400Mhz G4 with the origional ATI Rage video. Still, it was more convenient and worked like a charm.

Do a Google on Mac VNC, there's a client out there already made for OS X that is easy to configure and can be set to run on startup.
 
i know its possible.

what i mean by invite is that a person on the OSX machine can enter an IP address or something and press a button, and it sends a request to the other (windows) machine to connect via VNC, I read that if done that way, you dont have to configure the network on the OSX side (which would be a hassle/impossible) but instead on the other machine (windows/my home) side, which would be MUCH easier.....

except when ir ead that it was done with windows machines, so i was wondering if there was a program for mac like this
 
I think you got a few program and protocols mixed up.

If you have a "VNC" server (Mac OR PC) and a "VNC" client( again, Mac OR PC), you type the IP of the server into the client and the client controlls the server.

Ports: you are going to HAVE to deal with this if firewalls are involved. No way arround it. You're going to have to open up the default ports and point them to the static IP's of the client and/or server. (You are using static IP's, right?)

The only way I know of to do this in the Windows world without port configs is through a web based Active X controled browser plug in, so everything travels over port 80, which is open by default. But since Active X plug-ins don't work on a Mac, I don't know how you'd get that part to work.
 
I think he means the listening vnc viewer like RealVNC has on windows. So the service is supplied on the end that inititiates the TCP connection. Don't think RealVNC exists for mac though, don't know if other clients do the same
 
saxy_simon said:
I think he means the listening vnc viewer like RealVNC has on windows. So the service is supplied on the end that inititiates the TCP connection. Don't think RealVNC exists for mac though, don't know if other clients do the same
i think ive found what im looking for, except its not free :(, not free at all....$200...

well my search continues

oops. forgot the link

http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/multi/

another edit

http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=2018

above link said:
Perhaps the best new feature of Timbuktu 8 is its ability to connect to users behind a firewall that would otherwise prevent incoming Timbuktu connections. For example, my father works at a law office where the network administrator has configured the office router to not allow incoming Timbuktu connections. With older versions of Timbuktu, this meant my dad could use Timbuktu outbound, but I could not get in to control his Mac. This meant that I could not support him while he was at work.

With version 8 on both Macs, Dad now can "invite" me to control his Mac. When I accept his invitation, his copy of Timbuktu will establish the connection to mine, but I will be able to control his Mac. Since Dad can go outbound through the office firewall (only inbound connections into the office are blocked), we're in business. "Invite" is Netopia's easy-to-understand term for a reverse secure shell connection, where secure shell "tunnel" is established backwards. Reverse SSH has been around for a long time, but only for command line users. This feature worked perfectly during my testing, and has been a lifesaver.
thats exactly what i want. only if someone knows of something for free (or cheap) that can do the same thing, id love for you to tell me :)
 
Presumably you could use reverse SSH tunneling? I'm not sure how yo'd set it up on the windows end but I'm sure yo ucan google it.
 
It's very possible! I did it all of the time.

I used Win2VNC and apple remote desktop to accomplish it.

http://fredrik.hubbe.net/win2vnc.html

The specifics are vague right now, but with a little playing around I got it to work. I did run into some problems when the windows box would crash -- the mac would lock the port open and stop me from reconnecting unless I killed remote desktop and restarted it.
 
Back
Top