VNC to mac at school?

Absentee

[H]F Junkie
ok, heres the deal, i have a mac setup in my shop at school (vocational school). its setup to serve music to everyone in my shop on the computers via itunes.

i would like to manage some songs while im at home and have just heard of the magical thing called VNC

1st question is what would i need to do to VNC to the mac from my WinXP machine at my house? the machine is setup on our network in shop and does have access to the net so i should be able to access it at home, but is there any way to do this without having to go down to the IT department and asking them to forward some ports for me and do other things to set it up?

question 2 is, whats the best, easies to use software to VNC from the mac to my PC?

question 3 is can i setup a SSH tunnel to that mac without forwarding ports?

As far as the port thing goes - if you don't want to talk to ITS then there will have to be some ports open already. Either ssh(so you can tunnel vnc over ssh) or vnc itself. Unfortunately, if you dont have either of those(or any available ports) then you'll have to talk to them to allow those ports. I don't know about the mac side of things, but for windows and linux, tightvnc is pretty good(both server and clients).

Would be wise to get ITs permission first...perhaps see if they could grant you VPN access. I highly doubt they want any ports open/forwarded on the firewall.

Of the flavors of VNC...I prefer UltraVNC. A new version of Ultra came out this past August.

Back