VNC server running slow, any options?

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
I had a Realvnc server running on a xp machine I was using for my company. Long story short my HD failed, got a new drive and installed win7. Now the vnc server is super sluggish. Any action on the server takes a hell of a long time and my coworkers cant work with it being so slow. When I had xp installed the server ran like a champ. In win7 I turned off aero and I think that helped a tiny bit but no where near enough.

Im kind of stuck between a rock and a hard spot. My coworkers are not computer people so I have to make this as easy. Realvnc viewer is a single click operation, kind of need to stay with something like that. Id like to stay with realvnc, payed for it, dont want to have to pay for another program when this one "should" work. Is there anything I can do to speed this up?

The pc is pretty good i7, 6gigs a ram with 1 real monitor and 3 vga dummies ones running off of ATI 3600 HD. Never had an issue with the vga dummy till now.

You need to change the number of colors that get transmitted. Try something like 16bit or 256 colors. It has been awhile so i forgot exactly how to do it but that may help.

Also you should change the resolution of the server, make sure it is not like 1920x1200.

Along the same lines: no high-jack intended. I use UltraVNC. Tried all such options as suggested above, no luck. Switched to a 1000 Base network switch and cables, with no change in performance. My network files are 10X faster but my remote viewing is still crap. Yes I have selected various configs, including the highest (beta) speed, but it is still dirt slow. What to do? Don't mind switching software, but what is close to a VR machine? I want speed. Can do with shit like 8-bit colour ect.. but in my experience that isn't the hold back.
I need the network VR solution in RT. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kenobi

Dapperdan what RealVNC server are you using.. The Service? or the app? I use the app cause the service is slow.

Then in the Capture Method set it to.. Poll from Desktop and disable alpha blending windows.

This speeds it up quite a bit. Also make sure you have a solid background color and not a picture. That kills performance too.

The new TightVNC is also laggy.

My setup is.

RealVNC App.. not Service.. on my Server PC..
Then I use TightVNC Client to connect to it..

I use real vnc for home. I remote in from my workstation at work, into my workstation at home. For me it's fine. No issues at all. the server is a i7 920..well..the specs are in my sig.

BUT, for remote use for work, we used to use remote desktop, or the built in help tool within HP. But, then i found this program...

It's called VNC scan. It uses ultra vnc, which is free (you can choose real, tight, or ultra fyi) For the license fee, it's literally only $30 bucks per administrator. That's it! No client fees, nothing! There are 2 of us here, so it costs us like $65 bones. Th viewer is installed on my machine, and you can import computers via Active directory. Once you do that, it populates it and then you can deploy VNC, remotely from within the program. It's pretty cool. I deployed the ultra vnc server out to like 40 or 50 computers one time..it was very easy.

http://www.bozteck.com/vncscan/

if lists all the computers that it imported from AD, and you can just click the computer to remote into it. There are a lot of extras built into it like viewing the computers installed programs, the hidden c drive, or remote magic packets, etc. All within the program. I'm pretty sure you can view the computer in safe mode too. Also a free month of use too.

not trying to hijack your thread...just trying to help!

Changed my UltraVNC to process from service. Massive performance increase. it is a RT now. Thanks for all tips. Hope OP is doing as well.

Back