VNC server, general questions.

BioInclined

Limp Gawd
I did a search but the threads are older an I don't know how important up-to-date info is on this.
I am away at my university and my mother has a hard time with computer stuff. She works from home since her job is being down sized and it is easier for them to allow that option.
More times than not she will ask me what a new "warning" or "message" is from anything in Win 7 or her anti-virus. Of course, since she is not well versed and wording is critical, over the phone becomes painstakingly difficult.

So I am curious about this VNC stuff. Is it as easy as it seems? Will it sacrifice security a lot, or just if some one is looking for that port specifically and even if they stumble across it, can they use it as easy as me?

I don't worry about anything on her PC really, she doesn't shop from home online, I doubt she has any serious things she signs into. She is not a huge fan of computers outside of running the work related programs and checking her email. There is another person on the network though that may have a few more things considered to be valuable.

Thanks for any and all help guys. I also hope this is in the right section, made the most sense to me.

Use something like TeamViewer or LogMeIn. Use an account and you'll have instant access over the internet, even if her IP changes. No port forwarding needed either.

To answer your question, no it wont sacrifice security. VNC or all the other alternatives negotiate across the internet fully encrypted. So long as someone doesn't keylog, guess, or brute-force your password you will be fine.

Old school remote access software like VNC and PcAnywhere...they require firewall rules, port forwarding on the router/edge appliance, tracking the public IP address of the network the host is on, etc.

More current technology like Windows LIVE MESH, TeamViewer, Join.Me, LogMeIn Free....make it so easy, so so easy. Don't have to deal with all of the above stuff.

Thanks guys, that was what I needed to know. I am more confident now knowing it is secure and more modern software is available.

Definitely just get a free LogMeIn account and set it up on her PC

Back