VNC Remotly,(not on the same network)

TrueGamer

Limp Gawd
For example, i have a REAL VNC server, or an Ultra VNC server on my desktop at home.

Is their a way i can set it up so i can say access it from school or a Remote computer not on my home neetwork

If your home computer is behind a firewall, you need to open the ports through your firewall. Also in the VNC control panel you'll have to add a rule in the Access Control section to allow the connections from outside your network.

If your connection at home has a static IP account (I doubt it)...memorize the IP
Most likely it's a dynamic IP account..so setup a dyndns service

Open/forward port 5900 in your router/firewall(s)..to your VNC host

I use Ultra VNC to remote into my home machine from work all the time. As said above, just make sure you port forward everything and you should be good to go.... As long as your not using a satellite internet connection.

should be fun, seeing as i F'ed up on a Flash of DD-WRT for my router and i cant access the control panel

also. when using Ultra VNC does it involve anyything about the Repeater?

How would i allow remote connections in Real vnc

If you are just going for remote access and running Windows on the host machine, you may want to try something like LogMeIn. The client is web based so there is no client software to install, and it handles all of the configuration for you.

If you did need to use VNC, you can try Hamachi to help you out. There are plenty of articles out there about using them together.

As for your WRT54G, you can take a look at how to recover from a bad flash if you feel like it.

VNC over the internet!? :eek: I wouldn't do that, as VNC is not encrypted. Anyone sniffing can see the password in clear text. I would recommend setting up an SSH server behind your firewall and setting ONLY the port you need forwarded to the SSH server (22 by default). From there you can do a port forward over SSH, and your VNC password would be safe behind the encrypted SSH tunnel now going from that PC you are using to your server. If anything it's an added bonus, as it will get your feet wet in Linux if you run that SSH server!!

In any case, if you don't want to run an SSH server, don't just forward all ports to your machine. That is asking for problems, since all traffic headed for your public IP will be automatically forwarded to your machine, virri, worms, etc. VNC is generally port 5900.

VNC over the internet!? :eek: I wouldn't do that, as VNC is not encrypted. Anyone sniffing can see the password in clear text.

Depending on which version of VNC you are using..that's not entirely correct. Some already DO encrypt the passwords out of the box, and others even have FREE plugins for much tighter encryption.

Or hopefully he's running XP Pro or higher...RDC FTW!

The only reason i am going with VNC is becuase ports at my school are open for VNC, and RDP, but i cant go with RDP becuase i cant set it up correctly in Vista, i had it working in XP :(

Back