VNC problem, help!

fannypad

n00b
I've installed VNC (Real VNC) on a small network of 6 identical workstations.

Everything is working fine, however, inexplicably on 3 of the 6 computers the Windows wallpaper gets removed upon the VNC connection being terminated!

This is very strange for several reasons:

1. the "Remove Desktop Wallpaper" option VNC is UNTICKED on all the machines,
2. the wallpaper is unchanged when establishing a VNC connection and only disappears after the connection is terminated,
3. this happens on only 3 of the 6 machines,
4. all of the machines are COMPLETELY identical, same hardware and software, all cloned from the same sysprep'ed WinXP image and locked down with DeepFreeze.

I wouldn't mind so much save for the fact that the wallpaper contains user tips for newbies.

What could be causing this? :confused:

Thats a very odd problem. Are you viewing the VNC server from the same Viewer everytime?

Yes, RealVNC viewer.

I've tried installing TightVNC and RealVNC Server on the client machines and viewing with both versions, but still have the same problem.

What's going on?

I'm grasping at straws here but... didja try with active desktop on and the image a .gif? or if it is on, didja try with it off?

Active desktop is off, background is a .jpg file (thought XP could do this natively).

I've had this problem and more with VNC, I asked the list to help me but they couldn't. I was able to trace my problems to have used the beta of 4. All my attempts to remove whatever it did faild. The only way I got it working was to reinstall windows. I know know that isn't always an option.

Reinstalling Windows? Surely theres another way, removing registry entries perhaps?

I don't suppose any of the authors of VNC would reply to support questions...

You can suscribe to the list, but I'll tell you this, I have asked for EVERYTHING that VNC does during its install, and they told me, I unddid everything they said and did what I was considering a fresh install... no good same problem

uninstall Real VNC and install Ultra VNC. I had the same problem you are having when I was using Tight VNC and Real VNC. After switching to Ultra VNC, never had that problem again.

Back