VNC/Maintenence advice/tips?

diredesire

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey Guys. I'm working at a small(er) company... about 60 or so machines. We need to do maintenence on these computers (defrag/antivirius, diskcheck etc). Just curious if any of you know any utilities that can automate this for us and/or be managed from a central computer/console? Also at the moment we are required to go to each machine for service calls. I was wondering if you guys knew of any VNC servers/clients that would be good for this type of thing. We have TightVNC installed on some of our machines here, and I've used WinVNC before as well. I'm really just looking for any slick utilities (they don't necessarily have to be managed, just anything slick. I can make a batch file and run it on windows scheduler if required). A small fee to register/license these programs (sub $100?) is fine, too.

More info: We are running primarily Win 2k /XP workstations, with 1 or 2 win 98 )doesn't have to be compatible with 98, as we are [finally] phasing them out). ALL machines have a mapped network drive if we need to run it like that. Anything info would be appreciated. Thanks!

VNC is on every machine here. (600+). Try out the different versions and pick what you like best and what suits what you need. File transfer/speed/etc

SysInternals has some slick stuff link

thanks M4tt, some of those are looking interesting, but not exactly what i'm looking for. Right now we're just running batch files every month (i go around to all the machines and type the command into the command line). The win2k machines can't defrag by calling a utility [i'm not sure exactly why, my brother made the batch]

You can use the scheduler to have commands run on a schedule. I forget how to actually work with it, but the command to use is 'at' in a command prompt window. If you google it you can find out hwo to use it.

You can also use WOL to boot the machines up when they are not in use to do the maintenance, then use a remote shutdown util(or just use the scheduler) to shut the machines back off. I'm currently looking to do something similar, and this is what I decided on for the machines that support WOL.

I know there is also a shutdown command, you could possibly use that from the batch file.

I plan on using the scheduler, and the shut down might be useful for some machines... It'd be a hassle though, since we have an engineering department who needs their machines on all the time (VPN). Anyone else know of any good maintenence utils?

Back